qucik question for Stewart Dibbs

hey man its me your faithful student

I am getting the timing belt for my 98 montero sport 4g63 changed. Its got 81,000 on it never had a problem. I've all ways keep clean oil in it and changed the coolant every three years. My shop says i need to change the water pump too,because its driven by the timing belt. Are they being honest or trying to stick it to me?

what would you do?

Thanks man

Miles P Berti

Reply to
mpberti

Water pumps have bearings inside, and these do wear out. Since a waterpump here is about $35, its worth doing when the belt is changed, since the labour to get at the pump again later is the same as changing the belts.

Check a pump by rotating the shaft. If you can feel ANY roughness in the rotation, change it.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS