Question on 105K service for a 99 SUS

Hi all,

I'm going in for my 105K service next week and wanted to ask a question. The service manual and website mentions changing the CAM shaft belt and the drive belt..... I didn't realize I had two belts to be dealing with. One's the timing belt, right? Also, it says they have to check valve clearance. Since the head covers will be off, is it safe to assume they're replace the head gaskets? You can't reuse those (or shouldn't, right?) Also - it doesn't mention anything about replacing the water pump - what do others think? Should it be done since they're in there messing with everything else? I'm also having the oil changed and inspection of all the other odds and ends but since this is a 99 and I'd like to get at least 4 more years out of it, want to make sure I get all the proper maintenance done. I have my oil changed every 3K

- 3.5K miles as well as checking tire pressure and all fluids once / week so I keep up on all the basic maintenance.

Thanks!

Reply to
ismlv

The cam belt is the timing belt. I believe that there is more than one drive belt and drive belts are on a more frequent service interval than the t-belt. There have been several threads on 105,000 mile service on the 2.5L in just the recent past. I've responded to a couple myself and explained what all I had replaced on my 99. Rather than retype it all, I suggest doing an archive search.

LK

Reply to
lkreh

Reply to
Edward Hayes

IME fom Aus - dealers will routinely pick up seized idlers etc at this service and either advise they've replaced them or ask if you want it done (silly not to though ....)

Lots of people advise changing water pumps every major and even more every second one (105k) I always thought this was a bit excessive becuase I haven't had a water pump fail in either of mine (323,000km and

144,000km). Then again, I suppose if one had failed on me inside 70k miles I'd view it differently .... BTW I *will* probably get the one in the Outback changed at 200k Km! Cheers
Reply to
hippo

one more suggestion. if/when you replace your drive belts, tell the mechanic to give you the used belts. keep them in the storage compartment in the cargo area of your car. if you need a new drive belt on a road trip, you'll have a spare to get you home.

Reply to
lkreh

I would not replace a broken timing belt with one that was removed because of mileage, unless NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE EXISTS. It's a big job--sure, it would oprobably get you home, but then you would have to do it again. If you drive a car with an interference engine, as I do, needing a timing belt would also mean you need expensive major rebuild work on the engine. The availability of an old used belt would not be helpful.

BTW, my mechanic showed me some broken belts from his garbage. Except from the break, there was no evidence that there was anything wrong. He showed me the timing belt that came out of my engine, with 112,000 miles on it--no evidence that it might be in the verge of failure. I would not judge the serviceability of a timing belt based on how it looks.

Reply to
l.lichtman

I feel certain he was refering to the accessory belts ('fan' belts - we called them in the past before they became electric).

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, in rereading the posts, I think you must be right. The "timing belt" is not a "drive belt." I'm sorry if I sounded preachy and simple-minded.

Reply to
l.lichtman

wel, I didn;t intend to sound terse. I admit, drive belt kinda threw me but perhaps it is now a common term? Serpentine is of course also becoming common. I only know of timing belts by TBs or maybe cam timing belts.

it's all cool!

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

the scenario I posed was one in which no alternative existed, but regardless, there's a difference between drive belts (plural) and the timing belt (singular). See my earlier post in this same thread.

Reply to
lkreh