Re: Help - 1990 Mirage fuel problem

it totally sound like your injectors arenet getting the fuel they need they will prime themselved when you turn the key to aux and they are supposed to ,make a lil whine but if no fuel is comeing out the hose leading to them it might be both the injectors and your fuel pump.... youmight try to find the problem there

Hi All - > I recently acquired a 1990 Mirage hatchback (uncle passed away, was his car). > It has 70,000 miles. I am not sure of the service history. All I know is, it > was last driven one month ago and the person who drove it said it was running > rough. > Anyway, I got the car towed to my house because it won't start. The engine > rotates but won't start. > I changed the fuel filter and sparkplugs for a start, tried jump start and > still no go. > I disconnected the fuel line where it enters the fuel rail and cranked the > engine - no fuel comes out. > I turned the key to the on position and can't hear any "whirring" noise from > the fuel pump. > I connected a light to the diagnostic connection near the fuse block and get > only a steady flashing light - can't discern any codes from it. > Does anyone know if there is a relay, fuse or other component that could be to > blame? Where would they be located? Any other tests I can do to narrow the > problem down? > I own a Haynes manual, but it doesn't give any clue as to relay, fuse or even > show the wiring for the fuel pump in the schematics. > Thanks all for any guidance you can offer. > - J
Reply to
jonatan quezada

In other words, you likely have a fuel delivery problem. Injectors don't "prime themselves": the fuel pump pressurizes the injector rail when the key is in Start and On.

a) check that the fuel filter is not blocked. Its the (usually black or green, sometimes gold , now rusty) can on the firewall that connects to the injector rail. If its the original part, its time to replace it.

b) You should be able to hear the fuel pump whirr for second or two when you switch from Start back to On. If you don't hear this, then you may hear a click from the center console. This is the MPI relay that powers the pump. If no click, then either the MPI relay is toast or its not getting power. If the MPI and power is OK, then check the circuit to the fuel pump. Look under the carpet on the RHS seat area. There's a loom connector that (eventually) goes to through the floor to the pump. The pump wires on the gas tank may have corroded off. Look under the rear seat for an access panel, otherwise you'll have to take the tank out.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

He did all this....it's the pump, it's dead.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know