2000 Nissan Primera Starts, Cuts Out After 5 seconds

Hi All,

My 1.8 X-Reg Nissan Primera is sitting in a garage after a week of trying to diagnose a problem.

Whilst driving along I accelerated the car hard to around 5500 rpm, just under the red limit. Suddenly the power dropped off and the car free wheeled to a halt and the engine stopped.

Trying to restart the car, would turn over and run for a few seconds then simply cut-off.

RAC suspected a faulty fuel pump and towed me home.

Put the car into a garage with a good mechanic who's found the fuel pump to be working fine.

Further tests he's tried to work out why it starts, then dies after 5 seconds:

  • Had it hooked up to 2 separate diagnostic computers, both showed no faults other than ignition system is shutting down after 5 seconds.

  • Recommended to change cam and crankshaft sensors, done this, not helped.

  • Checked spark plugs are sparking, fuel injectors are working initally and then stopping.

  • Checked coils, power to them initially, then power drops off.

  • Checked the immobiliser is being switched off by having key and transponder checked. Both working fine.

He suspects it's maybe the ECU that's faulty, although would the diagnostic checks identify a dead ECU?

Can anyone through any more ideas into the pot, my mechanic is determined to resolve this.

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike Connolly

If this was a Honda, the problem would almost certainly be a failing fuel pump relay. If it is a separate part on your Primera, try swapping it out.

Funny you should say that, a Car Mechanics article on the P11-144 Primera (e.g. years 1999-2002) mentioned that the fuel pump relay was a problem item, causing erratic startup. I think it's one of the ones near the driver's right knee, but I'm not certain.

Reply to
Steve B

Hi Again!

Thanks for all the advice so far. I've passed this onto my mechanic today.

He did say that he tried by-passing the fuel relay and didn't help.

He's about start swapping parts out with an identical car.

Not sure about the shutdown solenoid on the car... I have only ever once accidently over-reved it (when I slipped from 5th to 2nd instead of

4th). The car's power did drop off for a few seconds, like some safety mechanism had kicked in?

If it was fitted, what does the solenoid look like and where is it located?

Cheers

Mike

Mike C> Hi All,

Reply to
Mike Connolly

When you turn the key far enough to light the dash but not turn the engine, can you hear the fuel pump running for about 1 second? You should do, and I wonder if that's the drop of fuel that's enough to run the engine for 5 seconds. Perhaps power to the pump isn't there after this 1 second prime when you actually start the engine. Proof may be to prime it several times before starting, if the engine runs for longer then fuel supply is your problem. Only guessing of course, but this trick got my Primera started when it had a one-off non-starting episode several months back.

Reply to
Steve B

Sound more like a faulty ECU. I had several relevent scenarios with Nissan Almeras. ECU failing to communicate with your fuel systems.

Hope your mechanic will sort it.

Reply to
happykazulu