Re: PCV VALVE 'BREATHERS' ??

> I've been seeing filter type gadgets that you connect to the pcv valve > which doesn't allow oil or oil fumes back into the intake manifold but > rather out into the atmosphere. I was wondering if they give you more > power, or a cleaner engine or what? My father was telling me he had > cars back in the '50s that had similar filters that you'd have to > clean out every so often, before there were pcv systems. > Any insight on this thing is appreciated.

A little cleaner engine, as well as helps keep blowby oil out of the intake. (Less blue smoke out the exhaust that way, on higher-mileage engines.)

The JDM engines have that valve cover outlet vented to atmosphere with no filter at all. So you could pretend you live in Japan and just do that if you want. It's possible no filter makes the oil get a little dirtier quicker, but I never noticed any difference.

Reply to
Brad

Is it ok to have 2 'breathers', 1 on the pcv valve and 1 on the outlet that allows oil to get into the intercooier? A mechanic told me that some oil gong to the intake is desirable so the intake valves can get some lubrication. I was thinking about connecting 2 breathers so I could keep the fuel injectors, intake valves, and combustion chambers cleaner but I don't want to out smart myself in case this mechanic is right and as far as putting a breather to block oil from the I/C it would also be blocking oil from hitting the turbo impeller. The question here is that is it possible that getting some oil on the turbo at this spot a good idea. The only reason I ask this is because I'm still running the orig. turbo w/ 153,000 mi. on it w/ a couple lbs. added boost and driving it pretty hard the whole time since I got the car, 85,000 mi. ago. As far as oil build-up in I/C I cleaned it out last summer (1st time) and was surprised to find a very slight accumulation in there -- in fact I wouldn't have wasted my time cleaning it out if I knew it was in the condition that it was -- had to check it though, right?

greg

Reply to
Greg