2001 Elantra - Busted PCV Valve Hose

The PCV valve hose had a small crack in it, I didn?t notice anything until the car started driving funny. (Pressing on the gas and getting no response, a little rattling plus smoke from the exhaust.)

When I changed the hose, I noticed there was oil dripping from inside. After further inspection, the air filter was soaked with oil and I had a pool of oil in the air filter container.

I changed the PCV valve, and replaced the air filter while cleaning the air flow pipes and filter container.

The next morning, I drove to the nearest gas station to get a couple quarts of oil. After putting the oil in, the car started acting the same way it did before I changed the hose. Plus a lot more smoke was coming from the exhaust.

Has anyone had his type of trouble or know what I need to do to get the car running again?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
locke

Is you oil overfilled? If so, how much? Recheck your new air filter and the air cleaner box. There may have been oil in the throttle body and intake that had yet to be removed. I'd recommend cleaning your throttle body with carb cleaner or similar chemical, but there may be more to investigate if you don't find anything significant.

Do you know how to test your pcv valve to verify proper operation? If so, check it. I've seen a couple new aftermarket ones that didn't work properly. Check to make sure the pcv port on the intake manifold isn't clogged. And check the breather hose to be sure it isn't blocked or clogged.

Reply to
hyundaitech

"hyundaitech2" wrote: > Is you oil overfilled? If so, how much? > Recheck your new air filter and the air cleaner box. There may > have been > oil in the throttle body and intake that had yet to be > removed. I'd > recommend cleaning your throttle body with carb cleaner or > similar > chemical, but there may be more to investigate if you don't > find anything > significant. > > Do you know how to test your pcv valve to verify proper > operation? If so, > check it. I've seen a couple new aftermarket ones that didn't > work > properly. Check to make sure the pcv port on the intake > manifold isn't > clogged. And check the breather hose to be sure it isn't > blocked or > clogged.

Well, yes the oil -was- overfilled, about two quarts. I busted my oil pan drain plug a couple months ago and just put in a rubber universal one from advance.

It became routine to add a quart or two every 2-3 weeks. After I put in the new pcv valve, I noticed I wasn?t dripping oil anymore. On my way to work, I added two more quarts. That?s when it really started to smoke.

Anyway, I got a new plug from the dealer and drained the excess oil. Car runs fine now... go figure.

Reply to
locke