Replaced rear suspension

Hello all, Replaced the rear -end suspension in a 95 eclipse and we are looking for a quick home made line-up plan so we can drive it the shop and line the front end to the back. Thanks, Lee

Reply to
Lee Cooper

Last time I had mine aligned, they did all for wheels. It was standard procedure for the dealer.

Reply to
Geary Morton

Stand about 8m behind the car and adjust the rear toe-in so the wheels are straight. Even if its a bit off, the short distance to the shop won't be a problem. The shop will align front and rear.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

This is only a guess but seems logical. To get the car to the shop I presume toe-in/toe-out is the main consideration for rear alignment plus alignment with the front wheels to prevent "crabbing". Assuming the tread pattern on each rear tyre is the same, pick a point on the tread and measure left wheel to right wheel at the front and back of the rear tyres. The objective would be to get the two measurements the same for zero toe, good enough to get to the shop. Next, get a long piece of STRAIGHT wood (or anything long, straight and rigid) that will reach from the back tyres to the front tyres. Ensure the front wheels are in the straight ahead position. On one side, place the wood so it touches the outside front and rear sidewall on the rear wheel. See where the length of wood lines up with the front wheel. Do this on the other side. If it lines up with the identical corresponding point on the other front wheel it shouldn't crab and you are done. If not, adjust accordingly and check both the above measurements again.

If you have replaced the rear end yourself you should understand what I am getting at. Also, this is only for the purpose of getting it to the shop. This is nowhere good enough for any other purpose.

TDM

"Lee Cooper" wrote in message news:a392c$42f5fbb2$a22774ae$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET...

Reply to
TDM