setting timing

I am in desperate need of help I just dropped a new motor into my mits. I got everything hooked up but I'm not too sure step by step how to set the timing. I know you can take the #1 spark plug out and try and quess when it is all the way up. Is there an easier way to do it. The motor wants to start but it is back firing( actually fluttering) in the intake. Please someone help me.

Reply to
#1girlracer

Take of the valve cover and the #1 plug. Rotate the engine until all #1 valves are CLOSED. This is the compression stroke. Stick a long screwdriver down the plug hole. As the engine is rotated, the screw driver will rise up to a max height. This is TDC. Look on the crank pulley and ID the timing mark and the adjacent marker on the timing cover.

Check your distributor for correct plug wire connection (1-3-4-2) and adjust the distr position as needed. Basic timing is 5 BTDC.

Put it all back together and see if it starts.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

the engine until all #1

Reply to
#1girlracer

You don't say what engine ... but ticking is generally a worn hydraulic lifter. The 4G63/64 series engines have a replacement lifter. Rev the engine to 3000rpm and hold for about 20 seconds, then gradually drop revs to idle (not idol...) over 5-10 sec. This will sometimes clear the tick.

If you have a 4G15 or 4G93, adjust the tappets to spec.

If all else fails, run 10W30 or 10W40.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Don't forget to repeat this procedure as many as 30 times. It often take 15-25 rev cycles to really work. But it does work for most people.

Also make sure the oil is completely full according to the dipstick (the engine oil dipstick, not your mechanic)

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman