to adjust speed indicator on a space star, is it possible ?

Hello,

I wondered if there is a way to correct a speed indicator and odometer on a space star 1999 ? I was said it can't be adjusted but there is an error of more than 10 %, and it is not very comfortable when keeping track of consumption, trip mileage, etc. To my knowledge, there is a cable running from the gearbox, but is it supplying all information to the o/b computer ?

Thanks very much in anticipation,

Regards,

Carl

Reply to
carl

[...]

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:02:10 +0100, "carl" scribbled:

Hi there, are your wheels and tires the stock size and specification? If not, are they the equivalent rolling diameter?

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

Hello,

The only issue is purely mechanical or electronic, since nothing changed except the indication of speed, driven distance and fuel consumption. Since, indeed, people do change tyres, I now can expect there might be a possibility to adjust the readings. Thanks for the tip.

Is anyone familiar with this car and problem ?

Thanks again,

Carl

Van:Phillip Weston ( snipped-for-privacy@quick.remove.silver.net.nz) Onderwerp:Re: to adjust speed indicator on a space star, is it possible ?

Hi there, are your wheels and tires the stock size and specification? If not, are they the equivalent rolling diameter?

"carl" schreef in bericht news:bqhnuc$c3i$ snipped-for-privacy@news.worldonline.be... Hello,

I wondered if there is a way to correct a speed indicator and odometer on a space star 1999 ? I was said it can't be adjusted but there is an error of more than 10 %, and it is not very comfortable when keeping track of consumption, trip mileage, etc. To my knowledge, there is a cable running from the gearbox, but is it supplying all information to the o/b computer ?

Thanks very much in anticipation,

Regards,

Carl

Reply to
carl

Mitsubishi has used different methods of doing speed over the years, however I don't think they are adjustable. You may need to replace the speed sensor in the tranny with the appropriate sized gear to correct for errors. If this is just a sudden change in the reading to an error condition, suspect the speed sensor at the tranny is just loose. There is a 10 or 12 mm nut holding it in. If it is loose and the sensor has moved, it may cause errors or no reading at all. From one of the shop manuals:

"At the transaxle end of the speedometer cable, the key

joint should be inserted into the transaxle, and the nut

should be securely tightened.

Caution

If the cable is not correctly and securely connected,

it may cause incorrect indication by the speedometer,

or abnormal noise. Be sure to connect it correctly."

Reply to
Robert Honea