A lesson to us all

MX-5s handle well but are not particularly grippy in the snow.

Better get a 4x4 as my next car. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Does this mean you've broken it?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They're no better.

You need M & S tyres...

Reply to
DervMan

Snow's comin eh? Well, that's me dead then...

Reply to
Iridium

I reckon you should just learn to drive your car in reverse everywhere, so when you end up in a hedge, you'll be facing forwards.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Heh, I'm sorry, but they are (I was thinking of some kind of Land Rover). They're not as much better as some people seem to think judging by the driving I've seen today.

I agree, but I am too tight. I'm just going to not drive the Mazda if it is snowing.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

No, but I have been more out of shape today by accident than I have been deliberately in nearly any other car I have owned.

Every day's a School day. None of my other cars have been as controllable after traction has been broken and none of them have been as susceptible to weight transfer.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Okay, you're right, they are better - but not brilliant, depending on the tyres.

The X5, for one, is nasty in snow on typical UK tyres.

:)

I learnt this afternoon that the Saab will oversteer when provoked.

So did most of Tescos. :-(

Reply to
DervMan

I'm deeply envious. Here is the joy of MX-5 ownership.

Or mark one MR2. Or not like the Saab.

Reply to
DervMan

I've just had this amazingly awesome idea come into my head.

When it's snowing, be a little less ham-footed with your right foot.

It might just catch on, you know.

Reply to
SteveH

Puff. :p

Try changing the tyres. There's a marked difference between them in rain and snow as I found out with the Capper.

Reply to
Conor

Yeah..amazing that I don't seem to have these problems despite having over 2000ft/lb torque from bugger all RPM.

Reply to
Conor

Poofter! :)

Reply to
DervMan

That'll never work!

Reply to
DervMan

There is a Discovery in the automotive stable at Payne Towers, and my relatively limited past experience of this and some other Land Rover products is that you have to be being pretty silly before you get stuck. In the Mazda however, I really had to consider what I was going to do if I ground to a halt slithering up a hill before I started slithering down the hill, with only a few centimetres of snow about.

As you say, I don't think my Tyres are up to much. They are also too wide and at the wrong pressure.

Heh, I discovered that 9-5 Estates can be persuaded into oversteer around this time last winter.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

They've got the fancy sliding floors in them, haven't they?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Bah, it was other people I was more worried about. They're not in snow mode yet and were sliding about and driving too close. I've never crashed something I own that was worth more than £500 before.

Yeah the tyres that are on are past their best I think. Still have decent tread, but cost about £35 for 205/45 R16.

Am half thinking about a set of M+Ss on some cheap old alloys/steels again.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

This one's a 52 Plate, it has a sort of double floor arrangement in the boot which can sort of slide manually I think. Not like the power floor in some IIRC top end Mercedes.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sounds a bit batty to me...

Reply to
Iridium

You were driving round Tesco? Awesome. Every time I have to go there I want to do that, but with a tank, or possibly a bulldozer. I suppose a saab would do in a pinch, but I'd probably use someone elses. Which reminds me - next time I'm in York, any chance I could borrow your car for half an hour or so? :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone