Any LV customers with seriously modded engines might want to think about a change.

Just phoned them to add the dump valve and cone filter (yes I know they have been on a week).

Got told "We've been to a meeting and been told we can only cover certain modifications". Then got given a list. "Car Audio, Alloy wheels, Sunroof, Towbar, Child seats, Tyres" + a couple of other things. I asked "Does that mean I can't add any engine modifications to the policy"?

The reply was "Yes you can add them, I will make a record on your account and policy, nothing will be sent in writing, but it is permanently recorded while you are with us, but in the event of a claim they notified but aren't covered".

There was no charge for this unlike a lot of places.

The decision was made by all the underwriters they use, after a lot of people were claiming for heavily modified cars fully covered and involved in accidents.

So it seems now mods are free, but not covered as was previous.

Seems the only things you can't do is increase engine size as it won't fit their model DB. So it looks like the Jun Stoker kit is out for now.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I moved from LV when the CAM went in the R5. same story then Legal but not covered.

Reply to
Mason

In article ,=20 snipped-for-privacy@plus.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

When I went with them, they were great on almost anything, and covered=20 it.

Jamesy who hasn't posted here for a while was with them for his T5R that=20 he had up to about 300BHP with loads of mods for the same reason.

The bolt on stuff I'm doing currently doesn't justify replacement part=20 cover (if I lose a =A32k car, the least of my worries will be =A3100 of=20 dumpvalve and airfilter), especially if what I'm putting on is cheaper=20 than what Toyota would charge for bog standard stuff, but if I move into=20 things like hybrid turbos, and a Unichip to sort fueling, then it might=20 be time for a change of insurer again.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar

When I went with them, they were great on almost anything, and covered it.

Jamesy who hasn't posted here for a while was with them for his T5R that he had up to about 300BHP with loads of mods for the same reason.

The bolt on stuff I'm doing currently doesn't justify replacement part cover (if I lose a £2k car, the least of my worries will be £100 of dumpvalve and airfilter), especially if what I'm putting on is cheaper than what Toyota would charge for bog standard stuff, but if I move into things like hybrid turbos, and a Unichip to sort fueling, then it might be time for a change of insurer again.

Reply to
Mason

Tyres are counted as a modification? I thought most cars came with them as standard :-)

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@WithThanks.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Depends if you go up in size, or width or use a semi-race road legal tyre different to what the manufacturer expects, especially along side alloy wheels.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar