Bingo

One new set of Brembo disks, one hub that required a truly ridiculous amount of cleaning (handy hint - jack it up, put it in second and then you can just hold some wet and dry to it), and I now have a 406 with non-warped disks.

On top of that, tyre pressures were down buy 3 pounds all round.

End result is that a 30 mile run, with about 20 miles at 80, worked out at

47mpg.
Reply to
Doki

Sounds like a result to me! Although, for that kinda difference that brake must have been like, totally on hehe!

Pay more attention when you're driving ;-)

Reply to
DanB

Better hint do the same but epoxy some emery cloth to the pads or shoes. First time you brake hard it comes off so brake gently.

Reply to
Burgerman

I think for the cleaning he was refering to the hub surface that the disc mounts onto. So coroded that the disc wouldn't sit cleanly on it straight.

Reply to
Elder

Nope. Rubbed once every rotation. Not even much to feel from spinning it by hand.

Reply to
Doki

That's the one. Not horrendously dirty / corroded, but apparently a very common problem with 406s. They have to be cleaned very carefully. Perhaps the pads don't pull back as far as with other calipers.

Reply to
Doki

Seems weird that it made that much difference? Still, result eh!

Reply to
DanB