Device that monitors speed to reduce youngsters premiums

Whaddya all reckon? I suppose it assumes that breaking speed limits (as opposed to innapropriate use of speed) causes all accidents, as usual.

fishman

It's optional, so seems like a great idea to me ? If you want the cheaper premium, then you can choose to be monitored.

I rekon that speed probably *is* a big cause of accidents for teenage drivers. Someone who's only been driving a year, can't possibly cruise along at 100mph as safely as someone who does it every day.

Infact, I'd be quite happy for ALL new drivers to be speed-limited in a mandatory fashion, in exactly the same way they are with motorbikes.

Reply to
Nom

I know of at least 5 people with that over here, at least one of them HAD to get it to get insurance.

It costs about 80% of the insurance saving to have it installed in the first place.

Reply to
Chet

Well i've never been caught speeding and I have never been in an accident, although I know plenty of my freinds have. Infact one of my freinds died last year and another basically had to be put in a full body cast. One lucky son of a bitch has walked away from 3 car wrecks now and can still afford to insure a 1.6 205 GTi!

It would just get overly complicated, you might as well ban cars and enforce public transport.

Reply to
REMUS

i like the bit where it sayes The scheme is offered by AXA in the Republic but will be introduced by another leading insurer in Britain. Mr Heaney said: "I can't yet reveal which insurance company will offer it in Britain because they are worried about frightening their existing customers."

== it is nowrichunion doing it . it was in the local papers 2 or more years ago when they were asking for people to try it for them..

they also state that in the future all insurance will be on a pay as you go basis

Reply to
no longer a registered user

Er, it already is !

You declare your yearly mileage when you take out the policy, and the price is reflected as such.

Reply to
Nom

but in the futer they claim that you do not have to tell them. you will be billed monthly on the miles you have done, (the milage you do will be known to them by radio satellite) ie,, if you do 200 miles you will pay for 200 miles and so on. but the have not said anything about what the standing charge will be for the equipment

on top of this they will have a log of where you have been, your speed at any time.. etc etc

Reply to
no longer a registered user

Right, I see what you're saying.

You won't catch me signing up to any of that malarky ! I'll quite happily pay a larger premium to avoid it.

Reply to
Nom

and for those who wish to know which company is doing this test

no longer a registered user

Yes.

Reply to
DervMan