Re: warning speed camera

In message , chris writes

after holidaying on Anglesey recently I noticed a van parked up on the verge >of the A5 porthaethwy/menai bridge Anglesey >it was disguised as a delivery van but I noticed there was a camera pointing >out of the back I forgot all about it until I returned home >and opened my mail to discover a speeding fine £60 and 3 points .I hold my >hands up yes I must of been speeding bit annoyed as I have a clean license >and am not a fast driver any way this has annoyed me as I feel it is >entrapment and in the police letter sent it states >
[snip]

You seem to misunderstand the meaning of "entrapment".

It is only entrapment if they encouraged you to break the speed limit and then nicked you.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

This camera may not be a speed camera but one that reads vehicle number plates (A.N.P.R) Automatic Number Plate Reader, which are then checked against an updated data base for stolen or vehicles of interest.

Reply to
Mick

last week the old bill parked a van like that down the road from me on a grass verge coming out of a 60 into a 30 and round the corner, there were about 20 plod pulling people over as well as the bike they had to chase down people who wouldn't stop the nearest houses to this stretch are at least half amile away or a mile in the other direction

Reply to
dojj

Good point as that has been shown to have the best results in slowing down motorists.

Reply to
Depresion

"Makhno" mumbled:

More likely 'cos they're just thinking about something else. Driving's actually very easy and /appears/ not to require much attention most of the time. Trouble is, when a situation suddenly occurs that demands your full attention you're not aware of it...'cos you're not paying attention.

Reply to
Guy King

Done or doing that (£35 CICB 'surcharge')

softest stretches of roads.

Done that, well on several dual's anyway (e.g. A52, A6514...)

How about variable speed limits, so they can change the rules as you go along (M25)

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

i take it you've never been up or down the A12 in deepest darkest suffolk/norfolk then? you can drive for about an hour and see nothing but the level crossing so why should they waste the precious road for pavements when no one is ever goin to use them? and horse riders would have to have a death wish to go out on it as well

Reply to
dojj

"Makhno" mumbled:

Far too slowly for what?

Reply to
Guy King

" dojj" mumbled:

Because of drivers travelling too fast?

Reply to
Guy King

That's what's known as an 'organic speed bump'.

Reply to
Neil Barker

LOL!!!!!!! why would you want to ride a horse on, what should be, almost a motorway? you would have to be an ejit!!!! anyway, there are enough bit's of feild to have horses trampling over rather than trying to force us off the road in half a ton of glue :P

Reply to
dojj

It's been done and he was 'caught' doing 37mph in a 30mph zone.

Just a shame he couldn't have been fined for doing so.

Reply to
Neil Barker

" dojj" mumbled:

Sorry, I was fooled by your description. When you called it " a country lane like the A12" I assumed it was a country lane...I don't know the road myself. Bits of, for example, the A21 really are nearly country lanes, with twists and turns and blind corners and horses and pedestrians.

Reply to
Guy King

Just far too slowly.

Reply to
Makhno

and as anyone who has used it will tell you, it takes longer than without the speed limits in place and what the hell is the pointof flashing up 40 mph on a Sunday evening when you are the only thing on the road?

Reply to
dojj

"Depresion" spouted the following in news:effYa.6752$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net:

This is some new and intriguing use of the word "safe" with which I wasn't previously acquainted.

A lot of pedo's are knocked down by careless tossers in uninsured and illegally driven vehicles. A lot of them never walk again. How much would compensate you for the loss of your legs?

Anyway, just 'cos a pedo may be over the drink drive limit doesn't mean they are over the leg control limit.

Reply to
tallbloke

It may have been one of them, but given the fact that the OP received a speeding ticket in the post, my money's on the fact that it is in fact a speed camera.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I know (well allegedly).

£££ perhaps?

Many years of motorway driving have taught me that hazard warning signs are usually rubbish and there is no hazard. Occasionally they will show "all clear" when there is a major road blocking prang with multiple police dead ahead. Result >90% motorists totally ignore them. Sadly we have to trust the same people to operate the variable speed limits on the M25. No wonder the DoT has taken motorway policing off the plods and have their own officers instead. Even this trivially simple task is too difficult for TC's who spent their time obsessed with compliance rather than safety and efficiency. Hardly surprising that they catch

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

there's a new along there which goes from 40 to national speed limit and guess where plod sit with their radar trap? just inside the 40

Reply to
dojj

but they've made it mainly 2 lanes now, so you could say they are encouraging it?

Reply to
dojj