Fiesta 1.3 CFI carb conversion

Hi,

I have a good old Ford Fiesta 1.3 CFI, HCS engine, 1995. I'd like to fit a Weber carb on it to avoid all the misery of this unreliable genuine injection system.

Do you think it's technically possible, and does it economically make sense ?

Thanks :)

Reply to
akura

I don't know just how unreliable the injection system is on these, but I wouldn't bother going to the trouble of fitting a Weber carb to an engine like that, as it's just not a particularly great engine. Has it actually gone wrong in a big way yet? If not, and you're worried about it, flog it and get something better with a decent injection system!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Well you're perfectly right, but I'm fed up with all these sensors problems (throttle position, temperature, O2, plus idle control solenoid, etc etc etc). And I can't afford to buy a new car.

Ford dealers sell overpriced spare parts for this car, for example

70 euro for a TPS, 140 euro for an O2 sensor, and so on.

So if I could fit a simple carb, maybe the problem would be solved the simple way for a low cost...

Reply to
akura

I think you'll find that all the electronics are needed because legally you have to have a catalytic converter on a car of that age.

Reply to
SteveH

It's true. But my catalytic converter died 6 months ago, and I've not replaced it since it costs more than the car itself. The only thing I've done is to mount a single tube at this place. And it works fine.

But I just want to know if the carb conversion is technically possible and what model would fit (maybe the Weber TLD of the 1992 1.3 Fiesta ?).

Thanks.

Reply to
akura

Will it not fail the next MOT on emissions now...?

Reply to
DanTXD

I live in France... Emission controls in this country are all relative :)

However, I think my car will produce less pollution with a fine-tuned car than now with my damaged CFI...

Reply to
akura

I mean a fine-tuned CARB, obviously :)

Reply to
akura

Yes it is technically posible to do, though alittle inginuity would be needed to make it work. It'd probably work really well too!!

You need the Petrol ECU in place with most of its sensors connected and working (never mind the immobilizer which it also controls)

You must have the air temp and coolant temp sensors in place and connected. The TPS may be optional- you'd have to try it and see. The MAP sensor must be conencted both electrically and by vacuum to the inlet manifold.

The ECU needs the information from the above to calculate the ignition advance. It wont run without.

The carb needs fuel at 5psi or so, a live feed for the idle soloniod.

The easiest way to sort the fuel supply would be to leave the electric pump inplace with the flow and return lines, and use a regulator to provide the carb with ~3-5psi or so.

Let us know how you get on!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I really doubt how it could be worse!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Have you ever driven a Ford with a Weber carb?

My Escrote MkIV had one.... it was a *pig* to start in cold weather.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes thanks, 100k in a 1.4 mk4- with the DMTF carb. Started no problem at all hot or cold, and averaged at least 35mpg however i drove it. Of course I did make sure it was properly set up.

More than could be said for the VV ..!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Anything is possible, but it will never pass an MOT.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)