Fiesta Starting Problems

Hi,

My wife's 1.1LX 1993 Fiesta has a CFi engine. It has an intermittent starting problem from cold. 95% of the time its fine but other times it just turns over, sometimes vaguely trying to start on one or two cylinders. The (new) battery would go flat before the car would start.

I had the car tuned by a mobile mechanic and he showed me a trick to help get it going. I have to remove the fuse for the injection system (under the dash) then try to start the car. It then fires and runs for about 2-3 seconds, which he says burns off any fuel flooding the cylinders. When the fuse is then replaced, and you try to start again it usually fires, but only on a couple of cylinders with the throttle being pumped to stop it conking out. Usually after a few seconds, it picks up on all cylinders and runs as normal. There is also a strong oil/petrol smell from the exhaust when doing this procedure and it finally starts up.

He says this is a design flaw with this engine and I could spend hundreds getting a Ford garage to fix it. Does anyone have any pointers with regards to this problem? Is there anything straightforward to adjust/clean/replace that would solve the fault?

The mechanic checked for an error code on the ECU, but none were present.

The wife hates fiddling with the fuses and ends up getting them mixed up!

Thanks.

Reply to
Nick

Probably the coolant temperature sender below the manifold needs replacing, it is also possible to add a resistor across the existing one (effectively this tells the ecu it is warmer and not to give so much fuel) There are other possibilities too unfortunately, but the above has cured a couple of these in the past.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Heh. You can tell it's winter. That's the second post about a s**te old Ford with starting problems in a couple of days ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

As Mr C says, its either the CTS, or the Air Temp sensor in the air cleaner which go out of range and the ECU overfuels and floods it.

If after replacing both sensors, and doing a full service its still doing it, then i've had great success by reducing the fuel pressure very slightly- the reg is adjustable.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Talking of crappy old Frods, there's a really tatty N-reg Fiesta outside our place which some hopeful is asking £450 for! The rear valence has been painted with what looks like roofing mastic and the windows are always steamed up no matter what the weather.

Reply to
Guy King

Wonder when the first carb icing post will come up....:-)

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

They're getting fewer and further between now that FI and diesels are so much mroe common.

Reply to
Guy King

I should think it's the better part of 15 years since any car was still carb equippend at first sale.

Reply to
Chris Street

Rain getting ito one or more of the connectors...see thread on Escort problems above/below.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Pah, the Rover Metro had a regulated carb, Rover only put all Metros on fuel injection with the launch of the 100 series.

Wasn't that in the mid to late 90s?

Reply to
DervMan

I did say car, not shed on wheels....

Reply to
Chris Street

Irrelevant comment in many respects; the K-series is still in production today.

Reply to
DervMan

I know - I ran one for 330k miles. The bodywork and associated gubbins on the 100 series was the poor part - go over a speedbump and bits used to fall off.

Reply to
Chris Street

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

No. The last Metro with a carb was some time around K-reg. Though there may have been a few autos with a carb till a bit later.

Reply to
Guy King

We Brits sure showed the Italians how to make a rusty, poorly put together piece of junk, eh?

When the proper Rover Metro was released in 1989 or 1990 it went right to the top of the supermini class. The 106 knocked it off...

Reply to
DervMan

The 1.4s, yes. Rover mopped up the last of the 16v SPFI models with the GTa

16v :) but as for the 1.1, no 1.1 Metro has fuel injection...
Reply to
DervMan

Well, how did my 1996 injected 1.1 metro get me home last night then?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

Oh yes they did! At least, I think they did. Someone'll be along in a bit who's got one.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

See!

Reply to
Guy King

Dunno. You got me. :)