Ford shelves plan to sell off Jaguar and Land-Rover

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1863591,00.html
Ford is drawing back from plans to put Jaguar and Land-Rover up for
sale after announcing that it would sell Aston Martin, the famous British sports car maker, last week.
Seems to me like Aston is likely to have far more interested parties bidding than Jag would...
--
to respond via email, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/e48z9

Wahey - let's hope it goes to proton.
--
Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can take
it/'cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe

I'd actually worry about Aston being sold off - the R&D at AM is so closely linked to the R&D at Jaguar there's a risk AM could disappear completely if sold off.
Alternatively, we could just end up with Aston producing VAG parts-bin specials.....
On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 21:17:41 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

Like what happened to Bugatti you mean? :)
--
to respond via email, visit:
http://tinyurl.com/e48z9
On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 21:51:12 +0100, Tom Robinson wrote:

And Lamborghini.

Naah, just think who's not got a supercar or GT business. D-C have the Mclaren, VAG have Bugatti and Lamborghini, Ford have erm.. Ford / Shelby / Jaguar, GM have Chevrolet (noooo not daewoo), so I reckon BMW have to be a candidate. They've got the R&D and the parts bin to make serious 8, 10 and 12 cylinder megacars.
--
Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can take
it/'cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe

Surely BMW could use their own branding on 'em?
Anyway, the last thing we need is 6-series running gear in pretty, 'British' clothes.
snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in

Oh I dunno, a reliable Aston would be nice, but on the other hand it would just be another "kitcar" built by a major manufacturer pretending that the badge they just bought was the same as the original.
--
Tunku

"end user" v. A command regrettably not implemented in most systems.

Why? What's wrong with 6 series running gear? 650 has a cracking V8 and smooth autobox, M6 goes like stink.
--
Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can take
it/'cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe

Because it would drive like a Kraut sportscar, which isn't what an Aston should be like at all.

Why not? Might even do well at LeMans (although they'll go and put a TDi in it...)
--
Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can take
it/'cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe

My worry is that they'll become nothing more than parts-bin specials - OK, they are to an extent at the moment, but the shared R&D with Jag at least means they're fairly well distanced from the Ford brand.
If you look at Bentley, then you can see they're nothing more than posh VWs these days - you can even see the same VAG signature lines creeping into the styling.

yep, and the current XK shares no looks with the DB range?
--
Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can take
it/'cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe

Well, yes, but I'd prefer than than to have something that's been Bangalised.

Oh I don't know, the new 3 coupe, Z4, 6 series all look the business.
--
Someone left the cake out in the rain/I don't think that I can take
it/'cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe

'Should have gone to SpecSavers'
Tim S Kemp wrote:

They're uglier than Redcar mingers...
--
Abo

www.pickuptruckracing.com

Eh? The similarity of the X Type is what caused its failure - plus of course it is so damn ugly.

Bentley is more like Bentley used to be than Rolls is like Rolls...
--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

That's the X-Type. The XJ8 and XKs have very little Ford input.
Even Ford now know they've ballsed up big time with the X-Type.

This is true, but the new models are starting to look like variations on the Phaeton theme.
snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk says...

Surley you mean flying spur, oh I see what you mean. Might as well get a Superb.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest