Got the engine for the Golf :-)

360 mile round trip to collect the bloody thing, but it's the AGG lump instead of the earlier 2E motor and I've been getting quotes of £250+ for an AGG from the local scrappys (and I get stuff cheap from them).

Cost me £60 in the end for the engine + alternator (poly V belt instead of old separate belts) and £50 in fuel to go and get it.

This week, I will mainly be fettling 8v Golf motors by the looks of things.

Oh joy.

Reply to
Pete M

Not bad, good luck with the swap.

Oh, and this weekend, I've been mainly swearing at RX-7s...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

So did the irish lads let you down with collection then? Thought they were carrying it back after the gig?

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Front Line Assembly-A Decade

Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

Nope, they let me down, so I went and got it myself.

Reply to
Pete M

I dunno much about these things - what's the difference?

Reply to
conkersack

In news: snipped-for-privacy@y66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wittered on forthwith;

Stronger bottom end, and supposedly much easier to run megasquirt.

That's about all I know so far, should know more once the thing is built up and ready to go..

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:evd951$a5l$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Fairly sure if you're using the AGG block you'll need to get a distributor from a 2E.

Reply to
Homer

In news:461a8163.0@entanet, Homer wittered on forthwith;

That'll be interesting. I've only got the original PB dizzy.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:evdvgl$vfc$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

I think they'll have a different gear on them. It may be possible to get the gear from the AGG distributor onto the PB one.

Homer

Oh right! Better for tuning then. What sort of power can you eke out of them engines then?

Reply to
conkersack

In news: snipped-for-privacy@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wittered on forthwith;

I've heard rumours of 150 bhp with 150lb ft but with a very flat torque curve and not a huge amount of work. Cam, well sorted head, decent exhaust and a few other bits and bobs.

Seems strange that they went to the bother of making the G60 if that's the case though. US spec Mk2 GTIs were 2.0 anyway.

I'm hoping for maybe 120 bhp but more torque initially. I'm going to do some mild tidying up of the head and a bit of work on the bottom end, nothing special but while I've got the race workshop [1] to myself it'd be rude not to really.

[1] one of the British Super Bike teams workshops. They're all away this week so I've got the workshop to play in.
Reply to
Pete M

Sounds useful.

Lucky! D'you, err, want some free labour?!

Reply to
conkersack

In news:461a8677.0@entanet, Homer wittered on forthwith;

I did that bit the easy way, made an adapter so the PB dizzy fits in the AGG hole. The gear isn't an issue as it /should/ all line up and work fine. The Dizzy mounting hole in the AGG is quite big, but the PB dizzy should work with the AGG drive so I've basically made a sleeve to bridge the gap and use the PB dizzy - I know the PB dizzy talks to the PB management and it's more simple to use as many original bits as possible. The AGG knock sensor should talk to the PB brain without any issues and as long as I time everything up ok it should work.

As for the AGG, the compression was fine before I took the head off to have a look inside. Bores seem to be pretty mint considering the mileage, crank is spot on, and there were no signs that anyone had had the engine apart in the past. Head gasket was fine, and the cylinder head looks a-ok - useful to know even though I'm using the PB head.

Reply to
Pete M