hmm

I've been thinking about what to do with the gti now uni is approching very quickly indeed... i'm going to give my sister the 205 for her first car since she hasn't got a job yet. I've organised a mk3 astra TDi as a replacement to smoke about in cheaply while at uni.

So what to do with the old gti eh?

I was thinking about stripping it right out to just within the legal limitations, no bumpers and one bucket seat...etc

I could break the current 8v engine rather than replace the damaged valves, since the kent cam and head should be worth well over =A3200. And then aquire a 16v item as a replacement and keep it mechanically standard for now, maybe upgrade it with some arp bolts in various locations but nothing more. I checked this out with a few insurance companies using confused.com and the best quote was only =A3100 more than the 8v in its current state but I would have to ring them to finalise details (I forget the name of the company since i'm at work, the list is at home).

But that isn't so much of an issue because I would really like to start going to track days, road rallies...etc with it. So I could just stick it on a trailer and take out day insurance, although I would need to look into prices.

What do you reckon? 8v or 16v?

Reply to
REMUS

Hell, why not just build a V8 Punto.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

  1. Power is everything.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Seconded.

Driveability unimportant on a track ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

And use the diesel Astra to tow the GTI there on a low loader.

Of course, the Astra will probably be quicker around the track... oh sorry, wrong thread.

Reply to
DervMan

I'll show ye and kermit!

Reply to