Looking at a different car

I am thinking of trading the Audi in for something different, and have been looking at a Mercedes CLK, the 2.3 Kompressor one, nothing fancy, Steve has already said no, but I thought I would throw it open to discussion. :)

He thought I was on about a SLK which is a hairdressers car as discussed :)

Cheers

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Built like shit. Your choice, of course, but I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. Mine or anyone else's.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

I wouldn't either.

Oh, and the small Kompressor engines really aren't very impressive at all.

A CLK 270 maybe, but the build quality on the early ones is almost BMW bad.

Reply to
Pete M

I'd point you at an Audi, few years old with a 2.7 V6 and maybe a couple of small turbos.

Reply to
Depresion

Preferably whose model description contains three, not two, characters.

Reply to
Grant

But I am not really looking for speed, hence why I would get a 2.3, I drive it 60 miles a day so fuel costs come into it, or I would go for the 320.

I just fancy that merc badge staring up at me every morning, and I love the fact its a nice looking coupé.

Reply to
Ronny

But I would have got a 2.7T or even a S4 when I bought my 1.8T, it was only fuel that limits my spending, otherwise I would have bought a 2000 S4.

Its not about cost so much, its about looks, reliability, and economy.

Reply to
Ronny

You've only had it five seconds :)

What on earth for ?

They're pig-ugly - infact, I can't seem to find anything in their favour, except the badge ! If you're spending 10k on a new motor, surely you want something that looks nice ?

Reply to
Nom

Er, have you ever SEEN one ? :)

Take a look - they're *certainly* not pretty !

It looks like they started at the back, and then ran out of design skills when they got to the front !

Reply to
Nom

If you want the badge, buy the best W124 300 coupe you can.

You'll hate the CLK's build compared to the Audi. Oh, and FWIW, real-world driving (unless you sit in traffic a lot), the 320 is going to be better for economy ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Lol, I think its one of the nicest looking cars around, especially the last pic you posted, how can anyone not like that?

Reply to
Ronny

Yeah but remember I had another quattro for 4 yrs prior to this one

Lol some people in here are raving that there getting a Cavalier or a whatever, and your saying the CLK is an ugly car, with a set of AMG 18" rims its a beast :)

But thats why I asked, to see what people thought about 'em

Reply to
Ronny

That's because it is :)

Reply to
Nom

!

  1. The ridge above the outer-headlight, meets the car a good few inches above the bottom of the side window glass - so there's a huge step in it's line.

  2. Could the front BE any less sleek ? It's a WALL.

  1. Why on earth are the mismatched headlights, seperate ?

  2. Why on earth are the outer headlights HUGE ?

  1. Here's the killer - check out the distance from the top of the front wheelarch, to the top of the front wing ! It's like a bloody VAN !

It's a pure excercise against the rules of nice-car design !

Hope that all helps :)

Reply to
Nom

See for yourself !

Reply to
Nom

I reckon you would be better looking at a classic SL500 or SL350 not a modern CLK or SLK.

Not quick, but very smooth, parts still aviallable from Merc, very cool to be seen in, and keeping their value, if not gaining.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Heh, I think I'll be voting for that as one of this year's funniest posts.

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"Nom" wrote in

:))

But thats why I like it, I love those headlights, you either love em or hate em, bit like marmite :P

Reply to
Ronny

I do try.

Reply to