Looking at a different car

That is a sign that it didn't have correct anti freeze in it. Very vital=20 given the long water path from engine, to radiator and back.

Many are neglected because they are "Cheap cars". A lot don't survive a=20 gasket blow, because they are sod to get right again. Instead they=20 either get a =A350 Favorit or 136 Rapid engine in, or get scrapped, was=20 the same even then.

Shame they new nothing about anti-corrosion in in Czechoslovakia, after=20 it frozen in a 60's timewarp after the revolution, because the steel=20 they used was cheap, but very substantial, so it took for ever to rot=20 through but when it did it was terminal. Even the wax underseal they=20 used was no good because it trapped water that got in.

Shipping them over on whatever transport was arranged didn't help,=20 because they would be strapped to the deck of whaever=20 Czech/Russian/Polish ship that was making it's way toward Norfolk,=20 rather than being containered or hold stored, and would ahve to face the=20 full salty lash of all sorts of North Sea Storms.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

i like large coupe's, there was a red merc with lots of chorme that i used to see a lot round my way, had really nice split rims with red painted spokes, looked 80's but no idea what kinda merc it was. the yanks tend to like the big ass coupe's the downside on them i'd image is them damn huge doors! bet they suffer from door drop when the age!

Reply to
Vamp

haha your such a skoda nerd :)

my MK1 MR2 was seen as a cool car by a lot of my mates, even a trip to the local burgervan or parking it outside my fave pub in the summer when everyone sat outside there was always someone to say 'cool car' or ask what it was. even the kids down the road told me it was cool! :)

don't get that with the MKII MR2 turbo, although i have had a few comments like 'flash bastard' and 'poser' :) oh and a 'f*ck me that's quick!' from a few mates haha

Reply to
Vamp

Where the hell are you looking, 'cos this is bangers in the local supermarket territory....... couple (well, more like 5) of years ago I nearly bought an immaculate Rapid Cabrio from a main dealer for £800.

Reply to
SteveH

I know, it's stupid. A mint low (like hundreds) of Miles 4 speed 120L in slime green will sell for £200, but a rough but solid 136 rapid will fetch £8-900 and a very solid on close to a grand.

It's scary, I paid £90 for my very rough 120L and got a year and a halfs driving and longer "modifying" it, before selling it on.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

See, with comments like that, I think I'll just leave this thread now.

I reckon your all to old and live in the past, as the only thing that could possibly be causing you to like the old SL is nostalgia, as by todays standards they are an ugly dated piece of shit:-)

Reply to
Andy R

I reckon you wouldn't know a stylish car if it came up and twatted you over the head with a Red Top Vauxhall engine.

You're not alone in 'ere.

Reply to
Pete M

One mans stylish motor is another mans multipla :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Agreed, but there are reasons why some cars are seen as investments, and reasons why some cars are good to drive, while others are investments you can drive.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Don't make promises you won't keep. Don't work in politics do you?

Too old? Maybe, is mid 30's too old? It's old enough to remember when 350bhp would build you a rocket ship, and not just lug something arround because it is so heavy because of all the added safety features.

Want to know another advantage of being old. Being able to modify a 2 litre turbo, 4x4 coupe, and insure it, and buy a house. It's not a Nova, or a Saxo or Clio, it makes over 200BHP as standard, and it's fun to drive, and much cheaper than a Scoob to insure, because the well off Chavs haven't discovered it, or it's younger brother. Think of it more like a poor mans CQT than a poor mans Scoob or EVO.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You've really lost me now:-)

Reply to
Andy R

Very true, but most people settle for the Looks, in an SL280 auto with the top down, and insurance less than a Mortgage. Slow, but if you are driving quickly, how the hell are you supposed to be seen?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Strangely enough, being seen isn't something that worries me.

I'd rather have something bloody quick and unseen..

I'd still be mega happy with a 500SL though

Damn, I want another V8.

Reply to
Pete M
[...]

The biggest problem with the 500SL is that you can have a 560SEC for less...

Alistair J Murray