Ooooooh...... feck

..... is what I said when I lost all braking power at erk! mph on the A465 today.

Not entirely sure what's up yet - I've left it with my local back-street mechanic to have a look at tomorrow.

Odds-on it's a leaking brake union, although I'm not ruling out a buggered servo.

Reply to
SteveH

Bugger! Glad you're okay.

Reply to
DervMan

Was a bit of a shock, just lucky it was early and quiet.

Managed to limp carefully into work in it by ensuring I maintainted pressure in the system.

I can't knock the car, though, first sign of trouble in 14k miles, and it's something age related rather than Italian related ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
DervMan

hehe I can just imagine the feeling, did you even loose brakeing power on the handbrake? Could of been alot worse, 90 mph coming up to a round about ^_^ glad you didnt get crunched tho :)

Reply to
REMUS

Handbrake works as it's cable operated, as it legally has to be.

But, yeah, could have been much, much worse.

Reply to
SteveH

Could be a split flexi hose.

Reply to
Conor

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

In news:1gn3s22.a4j2lo1aas4vyN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

S'probably a knackered master cylinder, as someone else has said. Here's hoping it's merely a knackered pipe.. you been talking to any Ka owners lately?

Reply to
Pete M

Same thing happened on my Dedra.

The Offside front steel pipe inside the wheelarch had a little hole in it from what looked like was probably vibration against the plastic retaining clip. I was going about 15mph when it happened, so I was lucky too. Same as with my Golf, the brakes failed on that in a street with loads of speed humps and mini roundabouts!

Both situations could have been so much worse - especially as I'd been on a

70mph dual carriageway with 2 roundabouts in just 5 minutes before the Golf incident.
Reply to
fishman

:)

85mph on a dual carriageway, approaching roundabout, turned round to mates "Erm, the brakes, aren't working". Queue, "Yea whatever, stop being a tart". Then that moment of awful realisation when it was noted, i wasn't kidding and was in fact sobbing...
Reply to
DanTXD

T'other day I put some new front pads (and fresh oil and filter) in the van, and just after having cleared all my tools away, I proceeded to back it up the couple of metres so it's snugly in the parking space next to the garage, and just after getting in I put my foot on the brake and it sunk to the floor. I thought "shiiiiiiiit", then I realise that was the first time I'd touched the brake pedal since retracting the pistons and putting new pads in :-)

Is that through a big rusty hole in the floor by any chance? :-)

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

We're not talking about the Golf here..... Puntos are galvanised.

Reply to
SteveH

Maybe it's just the christmas period, everyone is having to buy christmas pressies lol. Cabrio's always sell strongly during the summer, and shit through the winter for obvious reasons.

Reply to
REMUS