Primera - Exhaust/Cat and Brakes

Nissan Primera, 2.0 Automatic SGX 1994

Well,

My friendly local mechanic, took a look at my exhaust today. He change the front and back sections a few months back and the car sounded sweet. But since then, the car has just started sounding worse and worse, something blowing somewhere, a ticking noise at 2000-3000 rpm...

Anyhow, he said that the problem is a blocked cat. Apparently there's a leak on the flange before the cat. There's no point sealing it, because it'll just get another hole due to the pressure.

He's said there's no point in changing the cat yet if the car's driving OK, only when I can can only get about 40 - 50 mph out of it.

and its true. My car travels fast. Its a bit slow accelerating, always feels like its pulling back somewhat, but, cruising is absolutely wonderful. I can hardly keep the car under8 70mph :-)

Even so though, I can't help wondering if a new cat would be a good idea, in terms of economy, quietness etc... And because I dont want to be stuck on the motorway doing 40mph!

think I should change it?

Also, that brake griding noise, sounding like a front wheel is rubbing against a bumper... I can't figure out where the noise is coming from. Discs seem on Haynes book of lies minimum thickness, the brakepads have a little more life in them, there's a little lip around the edge of the discs but nothing drastic. Can't hear anything more when I apply the handbrake and engage the rear brakes.

I can't figure out where the noise is coming from, or what's wrong. There's nothing wrong with braking... Im reluctant to spend £200 when there's nothing wrong apart from a grinding on the brakes and the brakes look perfectly fine to me.

Although interesting to note, if I drive my automatic with a foot on the brake peddle and drive hard (about 10-20 mph for about 3 minutes), the griding stops. It returns after 10-20 minutes of more braking though.

Any ideas?

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

The brakes problem could be a partly seized caliper not releasing properly. If the brakes don't heat up after a few miles of driving and not using your brakes then I wouldn't worry too much, but if any do heat up then it needs sorting as your brake fluid could boil and stop the hydraulics working (it's happened to me in an old Sunny - scary). The pads will also wear out quick if there's too much drag. If things aren't too bad you may get away with new pads and a clean up.

Reply to
Steve B