Opinions on this car

The new Peugeot 406 Coupe?

I love the look of them

Does anyone know if any of the models come with a turbo as standard?

Cheers

Reply to
={ Advocated }=

Nice looking, but if I were buying a coupe it'd be a metallic blue FIAT coupe.

Reply to
Doki

20V Turbo!
Reply to
Oliver Gunnell

Yeah, they're lookers, for sure.

Yup - the 2.2 litre HDI, which is arguably the pick of the range, too. Okay, so it's a second slower to 60 compared to the 2.2 litre petrol version, and something like 0.3 seconds slower than the older 2.0 petrol, but it has bags more torque, which makes for a more relaxing drive when you're not hooning it, and a darned sight more economical, too.

The 3.0 V6 model has weird steering, but the fuel consumption penalty isn't too bad compared to the other petrol versions providing you're gentle with it. Hoon it a bit and you'll be getting high teens! :) However, last time I checked, the insurance was sky high (something like group eighteen).

Reply to
DervMan

I'd wager that, if we raced Kermit and an equivalent service historied and mileage Fiat Coupe from, say, Malta to Moscow, we'd beat the Coupe. We'd have no down time . . .

Reply to
DervMan

You'd be surprised.

The older 16v Coupe had the totally unburstable Lampredi twin-cam, and the newer 20v motor is pretty much just as strong so long as you get the cambelt and tensioners done on time.

I think now is a good time to say 'people in glass houses' ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

And I have to say, a gorgeous engine, too!

Hmm. Almost as nice, has a lovely rorty note . . .

Okay, so I do love the Fiat Coupe, but of the three people I know who've had one, two were 20V turbos and both spent significant periods of time back at the dealerships. One guy was belittling the Cinquecento because he had this for three weeks whilst they did some warranty engine work . . . heh.

T'other was an early 16V, and I loved driving it.

Perhaps it's just the turbo ones?

Reply to
DervMan

That's the best type, isn't it (i.e. a French Diesel...or was!)?

Hats of to Peugeot for having the guts to do a Diesel Coupe...

Reply to
Phil Howard

EUGH!! Just a Tipo in drag!

Well that's what they say about my dedra.

Reply to
Fishman

"SteveH" wrote

20v motor is turd. FIAT are replacing them under warranty all the time. How about total engine failure at 14k miles? 16v Lampredi - nice but don't believe FIAT's 60,000 mile cambelt intervals, unless you like rebuilding engines. Apart from that - unburstable. But what about the electrics, ancillaries... reliability isn't all about engines now it it?
Reply to
Fishman

Not from what I've heard. My contact in the trade reckons they're not bad at all - apart from the cambelt change hassles.

That's easy stuff to fix - and doesn't often bring the car to a complete halt.

As for cambelts - I never go more than 36k miles on one, regardless of recommendations.

Reply to
SteveH

Nah the Coupe don't come with the Turbo motor, its got the 2.2 now, and the

3.0, and the 2.1 (or is it 2.2?) HDi.
Reply to
Dan405

Thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. iirc the turbo model is called SRi, and I can't recall a Coupé SRi...

Reply to
Lordy

Not seen the new ones.. the old ones are very nice looking.. I didn't like the new 206 or 306's at all though - ugly fonkers, so hope they haven't done the same to the 406.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Some Pics:

={ Advocated }=

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Nice.. subtle refinements to the design rather than radical changes.. bonnet looks a bit high though.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Good cars, and gorgeous looks. Available for bargain money these days.

Nope, but the 3.0 V6 has 210bhp - this is the pick of the bunch, comes with

4-pot Brembo Brakes etc. etc.

Go for a drive in one - you'll like it plenty.

Reply to
Nom

So does the 406 with the 210bhp V6 - and it looks even nicer !

Reply to
Nom

What about the ANYTHING AT ALL hassles ? All work involves the engine coming out - never mind just the cambelt !

You would if the main dealer charged you a thousand quid (!) to change it.

Reply to
Nom