Re: Only me!!!

snipped-for-privacy@europe.ppdi.com says...

Just changed jobs (made redundant) Now driving a boggo spec Octavia 2.0 (not a vRS). Taking a break from the adictive nature of turbos for a while (although if a nice Octavia TDi or turbo 150 4x4 saloon came up I might consider trading in). Still same relationship.
Good to see life is coming round. have a look at the old Saab 9-3 TiD (the 2.2 Izuzu engined one) Dervy will tell you how good it is, or an ex taxi starship mileage Octavia TDi. Both have potential to be fabulous if a bit sooty.
both models are quite a bit cheaper than they used to be thanks to the 9-3 SS, and the Octavia 2.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Sorry to hear about the redundancy mate but good you're moving on...

*ahem*
Now's when I admit just how bad I've got it...just bought (well almost, once he puts new boots on it and find the sat-nav disc...) an '03 406 HDi...and it's the 90hp one!!! :-o /really/ have to take mileage & fuel economy seriously cos I'm in a long-distance relationship and, due to work commitments, can't move closer to her till probably next year...
oh well I guess happiness /doesn't/ always smell of Optimax after all!!! :-)

Nooo not the 90 PS version! No intercooler, reduced efficiency... :-(

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

It's a better all round car than the other two bar the lack of oompf though :-)
--
Dan

I disagree, that's why I bought the 9-3...
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Whew, some back-up! ;-)
Long as it's safe, reliable, economical and will cruise comfortably at 90+ (the FIAT feels like things are falling off at anything over 80 now!!!), then I'm a happy bunny
It also helps that it's relatively well-specced and I still like the looks of the 406, as "dated" as everyone says it is (dated meaning it doesn't look like an out-of proportion lowered mini-MPV like most new "pedestrian friendly" designs I assume)...

They still look great these days.
I wanted a 406, as Charlie will be my witness I tried four. Except, I wanted something in a pretty colour (not red, not silver, not white) with the 110 PS HDI and in GLX or above specification. I couldn't find one so bought a pretty coloured Saab 9-3... :)
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Hehe, hang on, what's wrong with silver??? I know it's a touch common these days but it's still one of the few colours that all cars look good in!

Absolutely nothing... except... it's hard to match if you do get it scratched, it shows the dirt really easily and (more importantly) in our office car park, almost every car is silver apart from my blue 9-3 and two black BMWs.
Actually saying that I don't think silver is especially suited to the old 9-3 shape, but then I'm biased heh! :-)
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
Jamesy wrote:

That post reeks of someone who just bought a silver 406.
(c:
--
Douglas

snip

Bah! Really not /that/ bothered, it's a decent car, rides & handles well, relatively low miles for a diesel and at a good price!
I'm feckin amazed at how much my priorities have changed myself mate!!!

Don't get me wrong, they're fine pieces of kit, just don't, under absolutely any circumstances, drive the 110 HDI.

:)
I received in the post today a letter from Shell's PlusPoints Optimax Club, saying, we've noticed you've stopped using it - care to buy some more?
You'd think that a letter to a Mr. DervMan might trigger an alarm bell about Optimax? :)
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

That is why I'm driving the Octavia. For me, it is bloody economical, and apart from services and fluid checks(for piece of mind) it needs now.
I guess I was a little sick of pleasure/pain, performance/tinkering (fixing) trade off with the older turbo cars as daily drivers.
I'll probably have another when I have time/funds for a project car.