Re: KINHELL

"enviromental" stuff. Glass recycling is a shocking example - drive

> to the bottle bank, and your car uses more energy driving there than > you save by recycling the bottles

Well, it saves them from going in a land fill though. And they collect the bottles *from* you round here. You just put them out once a fortnight and a recycling wagon comes round and collects them.

Probably still just go in the landfill at the end of the day... ;)

Reply to
Abo

Aye. But when we run of sand to make glass and oil to make plastics, it'll be economical to mine landfills...

There is that.

Reply to
Doki

Hah, never thought of that. Plastic mines! :)

Reply to
Abo

I don't understand why the bottles aren't collected, washed and reused, like Barrs used (still?) do with bottles of soda. The energy to recycle the glass must be quite impressive.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I was quite impressed by the lengths ther Germans are going to to recycle stuff.

Even plastic bottles have a deposit on them, and all supermarkets have a machine that accepts bottles and returns your deposit.

Reply to
SteveH