Shipping an engine & box

All,

Anybody (Dave B?) got any suggestions for a company that'd be willing to pick up a used engine and box (2litre, iron block, so heavy) on a pallet and deliver to the opposite end of the country for less than an arm and a couple of legs?

I'm not convinced that anybody exists that'd do it, but I'm always willing to be proved wrong!

Cheers,

Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian

Sure, there are people with vans who'll do this sort of thing for a price. I've done it once or twice no issues.

Depends a lot on where it is, and where you want it to go, and I bet the price varies considerably.

Reply to
Sales!

Sales! ( snipped-for-privacy@bargain-pricings.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

From near High Wycombe to the west side of the Scottish Borders.... When I said the other end of the country, I meant it!

Reply to
Adrian

That's going to be expensive, but I don't know anyone as such. I knew someone who was ok about shipping engines from Luton down to near Wycombe for cash in hand, but that was someone else's van on the weekend, etc, quite different kettle of fish.

Reply to
Sales!

How about hiring a van, and driving it yourself?

Or is that very expensive? I live just outside of H/W incidentally:-)

Reply to
Andy

Not really - that's less than half the distance of one end of the country to the other.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Homer

Reply to
Sales!

Will it fit in the back of a Ka? ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Bob Sherunckle

A troll through yellow pages should find several national freight Co's that would do the job, providing there are facilities at both ends to load and unload the pallet. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@achapman.freeisp.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Thanks to all the suggestions - I'll pass them on to the buyer.

At the moment, the engine's sat "as removed" - so still grubby and with fluids. Not the end of the world to do a quick drain.

To Dave for offering to shift - thanks, mate. If it won't get couriered, we'll probably just lob it in the back of a loan car ZX estate from the garage it's stored at, and point it north. The logistics of trying to fit in with a "favour" run are probably a bit much - it's not as if it's impossible otherwise, it's just that the buyer wants to try and courier it.

Cheers.

A.

Reply to
Adrian