So what does the panel think then?

It's pretty much what I have been doing for the last 6 years, with an extra 5 miles each way for the last 6 months.

Seems the last year though, traffic has gotten so much heavier and accidents far more frequent and caused massive congestion on the M62 every day. Had to go to Manc airport for a conference the other day and it didn't seem much better on the M56 and when we move offices in the next couple of months, that will probably be the best route in.

Reply to
Elder

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Elder, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I think you'll find that there was one main voice against improving the Celsior.

Um, Scorpio Ultima Diesel.

Cheap, reliable, well made, comfy as anything, well equipped, good handling but not pretty. You'd get a lovely one for sensible money.

Reply to
Pete M

Even plusher and supportive. Mk3 Supra seats are 60pounds a seat lighter than the pocket coil sprung powered memory armchairs of the Celsior and Soarer.

Reply to
Elder

Citroen XM V6 diesel auto :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Legal chipfat running with no duty if you use less than 2500 litres per year.

Reply to
Elder

You forgot to mention that nothing, other than the engine, is likely to be in anything like daily usable condition on a 405.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

How are they on the chip fat? I'm just about as anti ford as you are anti jap, but if they worked well I might try one.

Reply to
Elder

Is this likly to be another one that is "expensive electronic failure" waiting to happen.

I'm ok trusting jap assembled electronics but something french puts me off.

Reply to
Elder

IMO it's 4 hours a day of your life up in smoke. 2 hours a day commuting is bad enough for me to want to move closer to work ASAP. Any way round it has to be preferable to every working day basically being a 12 hour day.

Reply to
Doki

406 2.1TD would be good I reckon. Or possibly a Xantia (or even an XM if you're feeling brave) with the same engine.

Or a 940 TD? No idea what engine they've got, but they're big and barge like and supposedly comfortable if well spec'd up.

BMW 325/525 TDS? I'd quite fancy one of these if I was in 'economy, but still a bit silly' mode, which I reckon you probably are.

Omega 2.5 TD - same engine as above? But probably a fair bit cheaper to buy.

I'd keep the Celsior though. Fuck everyone else!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Definitely. I couldn't hack a long commute everyday, especially in rush hour. My other half does 35 miles up the M3 and back everyday (about an hour) and after just over a year it's really started getting her down. Luckily she's starting a new job in the new year 13 miles away, which is much better!! So the 205 will be for sale in the new year if your interested.... 303k miles and counting - to get that far it must be good ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I have a feeling that's the 'dog' of the range - very tight fit engine, making maintenance I real hassle.

Don't they have f*ck-all power, though?

They don't do economy, those engines.

Same thirst, less power than the above.

Heh.

600 quid to stop it wallowing, f*ck that....
Reply to
SteveH

ISTR the 2.1TD being a good bit of kit. My grandpa used to have the XM

2.1TD when I was younger. Went well, and it had a sport suspension switch which I though was great. Don't recall there being many problems with it and he did quite a few miles in it. And in all 3 of those cars the 3.0 V6 Quad cam engine was fitted so there must have been a bit of spare space in there (at least front to back anyway)

Wasn't there a 2.5TD too that was the PITA of the range? Or am I making that up

No idea TBH

Must be better than a petrol v8 though, and if they can run on veg oil....

Again, if it can run on veg oil, and can be picked up cheap...

Personally I'd let it wallow and would enjoy the wafting v8 a bit longer. A mate had a Soarer V8, dunno how closely related that was to the Celsior, but was a great car for cruising around in and I'd love one!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

same engine but the soarer was based more on the supra if i remember right and the V8 was dropped as the 2.5 and 3.0 TT models were more popular. the soarer also had air suspension as well on early models

Reply to
Vamp

The 2.1 is OK, but it's not as economical as the 1.9 and it's a very tight fit in the engine bay.

I looked at getting a 406 2.1TD, 'cos they were, at the time, quite a bit cheaper than the 1.9TD, then I found out why. Fiat-esque timing belt change costs....

No, not in the 406.

Hmmm, power isn't bad at 122bhp. But they don't do economy - 36mpg from a diesel is piss-poor.

TDS may be a bit pricey, the TD is 115bhp and 33(!) mpg. Not good.

TDS is 143bhp, which is good, but still only 34mpg, which is s**te.

128bhp and 36mpg. Still not great.

Looks like you can't just dump veg oil in the tank, too.

It all depends on how bad the suspension is, I suppose.

Not worth fixing, but if it'll pass another MOT and doesn't clonk / wallow too badly, just drive it into the ground.

Reply to
SteveH

Does drive well though.

The Xantia 1.9 is the better one of the two diesels, the 406 is better with the 2.1

There was a 2.5 TD XM, but the Xant and 406 both stopped at 2.1 (in diesel form).

I know a chap who had a 960 with the 3.0 petrol on LPG, but the tank was right in the way (twas an Estate)

You can get a decent 525TDS for £600 nowadays.

The Omega is a nice old lump to drive though, provided the suspension is ok.

Not /that/ bad. No nasty clunks, but it feels like when it was converted from air suspension they kept the same shocks - if that's possible. It feels like the springing is fine but bugger all damping. Comfy enough but incredibly wallowy.

Doesn't clonk but wallows like f*ck. I'd just change the shocks and be done with it. It's a nice car, and very tidy indeed for what it is. Most early Lexii look a lot more tired than Carls one does.

Reply to
Pete M

Yes

Good man :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

What he said. I rarely take the car now unless I need to carry something or take my son with me. Of course in Perth we have the weather for it too. I did a crazy amount of ks this morning on it and did the journey in probably 2/3rds of the time it would of taken me in a car. Traffic ceases to exist.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Keep the Celsior and mod the suspension. Screw what everyone else thinks.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Had one of those with the petrol engine. Crap.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston