That was fun....

Had a run out for Sunday lunch with someone from the Welsh Alfa Club this lunchtime.

30 miles of which were over mountain B-roads, being chased down by his 156 V6.

The 156 had the edge punching out of slower bends, but the old Marea put in a sterling performance and the 5-pot lump sounds glorious when being thrapped :-)

Reply to
SteveH

must of been a fast road race with the marea's stonking 8sec 0-60 :)

Reply to
Vamp

Vamp, generally you post slightly incoherent but non the less fairly well informed posts.... however, sometimes you post utter bollocks.

I'll file this as the latter, as 0-60 times have very little use when chasing each other over twisty mountain B-roads.

Reply to
SteveH

what sort of torque is that lovely 5 potter putting out (any at what rpm gen)

Reply to
Rob

yes but then it wouldn't get a bit of a pissed reply and you wouldn't feel the need to correct my bullshit and posting well informed stuff isn't as fun :-P my dad's S60 had a slower 0-60 than my MR2 by 3secs but it would pull away just from 50-70mph but then the MR2 would catch it easily by 80mph :)

Reply to
Vamp

137lbft @ 4500rpm.

Don't know how that compares, other than the 24v V6 in the 156 has

164lbft.
Reply to
SteveH

It is a glorious noise isn't it ?

In the upper reaches of the rev range you *are* Stig Blomqvist in a Quattro S1 on the 1000 Lakes.

The best aspect of the car IMHO - nearly as good as a 145 Boxer(1)............

(1) But obviously not a patch on a Turbodiesel Audi on full tractor mode.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I was thinking the same thing. Hope Steve never has to use his car to pull the skin off a custard.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Oh I don't know, I'm sure it could manage custard no problem. It's the rice pudding that'll give him grief :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Much better overlaid by a bit of turbo noise. Even much better when they're putting out >200 bhp.

5 cylinder motors rock.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

heh - just realised - my elch-machine has more torque.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And rumble and vibrate.

You know I can remember the days when we laughed at people who thought a V5 was a type of engine layout.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Mine has an all-mighty 110 lbs/ft at 4,000rpm :)

Reply to
DanTXD
[...]

Good 20-90 times are most handy though... 8)

Nice to get a highland hoot in despite the short days and s**te weather

- well done!

Alistair J Murray

VR5 is just odd - a complicated method of ending up with an engine not much more economical or compact than the VR6 but more complicated and larger than the I4. Of course, VW turbocharge the I4 to make more power than the VR5, and IIRC the VR5 doesn't balance.

Proper I5s have their place - simplicity, extra smoothness and more valve area than a 4, fits easier into a transverse install than an I6 / V6.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The non turbo 8v makes 119 ft.lbs. of torque at 3,500 rpm. and me old 16v Turbo makes

201 ft.lb. @3000 rpm

Not bad for a car that doesn't really make much extra power as stock much beyond 5k

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Yup. You need 6 for a smooth idle.

Reply to