Vamp? Sleeker? 3S-GTE Differences?

I have a chap needing to replace the engine in his '93 MR2 turbo. He bought another 3S-GTE lump but when it arrived there was a few differences, off the top of my head i recall the oil filer location (on the sump of the new engine, original one seems to have it mounted on block on some sort of coolant fed oil cooler. The rocker cover is also different, the new one having a breather and the original doesn't.

Inlet manifolds look the same and both have the 'twin entry turbo' blurb on them but in different styles. TB arrangement doesn't look like it'd work with the celicas top mount. Must be a few versions of the MR2 lump?

Any info please :)

Chet

Reply to
Chet

afaik there is 3 or 4 mr2 turbo engines.

Reply to
Theo

3 generations of 3S-GTE in Celicas and MR2s Gen 1 and 2 are almost identical. Gen 3 has the most differences.

I think with work you can bolt them in. Gen 1's have 7 bolt exhaust manifold, gen 2's have 7 or 9 depending on model/age, Carlos sainz, import RC models, and models I think after 92 have the 9 bolt, gen 3's have 8.

Gen 2's and maybe gen 1's have T-Vis butterflies in the intact that narrow the intake to improve low speed torque, gen 3's don't have it.

Gen 3's have a proper PCV valve, gen 1 and 2 just have a breather tube that routes back to the intake.

Gen 3's have a catch can that vents PCV gases but, but also drains the oil condensate to the sump.

Gen 1 and 2 have the oil filter pointing upwards in between the downpipe/alternator/block. Gen 3's have the oil filter hanging down under the engine infront of the sump.

Gen 1 turbo is a single entry CT26 like a Supra. Gen 2 turbo is a twin entry CT26 (ceramic wheel on imports) Gen 3 is a twin entry CT20b, a CT20 has one less mounting stud than a CT26.

The Gen 1 and 2 CATs have one less bolt on the turbo than the Gen 3. You can fit a Gen 1 and 2 decat by removing one bolt/stud from the turbo.

Biggest problem you might have is fitting the sensors to the ECU. gen 1 and gen 2 are flap AFM based, gen 3 are map sensor based.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Just rang the chap to run out to his 2 engines

The new one has 8

I didn't know what that was!

That'd be the black box on the breather of the new engine then

That'll be either a 1 or 2 for the old engine and a defo gen 3 for the new.

Old engine is twin entry "ceramic power" so it would appear to be a Gen 2

The gen 3 lump had no manifold or turbo on it so couldn't check.

He's not even going to try, he''ll just send it back. At least now we know the the problem. What year did gen 3's start?

Cheers man, extremely useful

Reply to
Chet

Not sure mate, but parkers might be able to tell you. They were in the UK St205. Gen 2 was in the ST185.

It might have been a year earlier in the MR2

The 205 engine (Gen 3) is actually better. Metal headgasket from the factory I think. And the ST205 ECU has 18PSI fuel cut and maps, instead of 14 I think.

If you could locate the loom and ECU, and the manifold you could have a very nice install and lose the AFM.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

It already has a bigger turbo and a few other bits so he wants to stick with it. It spun 2 of the main bearings so a direct replacement engine seemed like the best option. He's gonna do the crank and bearings in the original engine now that its out and siting on the ground.

Its a tidy lookin mister 2, i'll have to get pics

Reply to
Chet

Try

down to turbo engines.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

These jap engines are quite cheap, i'll have to find out what he paid for the gen 3

Reply to
Chet

They are all lowish mileage mileage import jobs from cuts I think.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

GT4 and MR2 Turbo's engines are different, if it's a GT4 engine and he's trying to fit it to an MR2 or vice versa don't bother! to much hassle.

there are only 3 small variations of 3SGTE for the MR2, the rev1 and rev2 differs down by where the exhaust bolts on, the rev3 onwards had more power, different ECU ect

Reply to
Vamp