Very OT: Engine transplant question (car related)

I currently have this as my fun car. http://www.paynehq.com/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId#08
However, I am fairly close to doing a deal on this as it's replacement
http://www.paynehq.com/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId#38
The clubmans car in the second pic would be coming as a rolling chassis as he would be keeping the steel xflow in it just now.
So - suggestions for engines - no V8s or turbo engines of any sort. Definitely no diesels - ever, ever ever.
I'm thinking GSXR1100
Suggestions ?
says...

Other than you have valid thinking?
Best to put first a similar engine to what it has now: the GSXR might come in later but for now the car needs to be sorted (drive, suspension, etc) so you can get used to the way it drives and handles.
Once there you can fit it with a bike engine (GSR1100, Hayabusa, Blackbird or R1, the biggest displacement engine will yield best torque and power) which will need also modifications to the chassis, the gear selection and the suspension.
Be sure to baffle the sump and if possible increase the radiator. Bike rads are about 4 times too small on a car (because you will spend more time at full power and a lower speed than on as bike)
Putting in a bike-engine will come with some extra problems and that's best kept a part from you learing the car. Do not underestimated : the bike engine is not a straight fit but well worth the hassle. Best thing is the weight going down.
Overall the car looks nicely balanced. Does the driver sits on the diff or does the transmission axe runs under his behind? Or is the diff slightly out of center?
The car is very yellow but a real racecar can't be yellow or bright red enough. Single seaters are big fun on normal roads.
Good luck with it and enjoy the beast.
Tom De Moor
says...

How about a non turbo RX7 or RX8 rotary? Smooth, can rev very high? Or maybe what about the VTEC unit from a smashed S2000?
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

RX7 rotary, good idea. S2000 is way too tall and the gearbox is mahoosive. Would never fit in.
Elder wrote:

It has a crossflow now. It's not exactly what I'd consider slow (I drive a normally aspirated Peugeot Diesel at the moment however). Any of those engines would make it pretty nuts.
I think TDM is right, fire something cheap, simple and disposable in there for the time being.
--
Douglas

You don't get much more disposable than an RX7 Rotary :)
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Elder wrote:

1 out of 3 ain't bad.
--
Douglas

They are pretty cheap to buy used, most are shagged ;) hence why they are disposable, have about 12 moving parts in the whole engine so pretty simple. Very tiny too.
Biggest problem is, they require knowledge and tight tolerance to be rebuilt properly, and because they don't involve reciprocating lumps of metal, most mechanics never learnt that knowledge, so those that did can charge for it.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Hayabusa.
Fraser

Natch.
Fraser Johnston wrote:

The Hayabusa bods in the club allegedly have to rebuild more often than the ZX9R bods. Personally I have no idea, I just heard it mentioned in the paddock at the weekend.
I may have a 1 litre polo engine spare soon, perhaps John could fit that while he decides...
--
Douglas

Listening closely, you were not young Douglas. Tis the blades whot break, not the Busas. As Yoda might have said.
Anyway - this is all horse cack. I can't afford a busa. Not now, not next week, not next year.
Maybe a ZX9R though - that would be good.
(P.S. You left just before the FuryBusa broke a ten year old record :-)))))
Bob Sherunckle wrote:

Jings. I forget what I ordered in the chip shop between ordering and paying sometimes. I seriously doubt I should be trusted with any useful information ever. Still, at least I got the Kawasakitter of 2 somethings thing correct. (c:
<snip>

Heh, broke it twice by the looks of things. Wouldn't have happened with a Fireblade engine. Good work boys!
A few new course records, which is not what I expected given the pissing rain during practice.
For those wondering what we're blithering on about, it's a local motorsport club event held over last weekend.
--
Douglas

Just get one from the wreckers and wipe the blood off. : )
Fraser

Good advice! You will find very, very recent bike engines ranging from semi- pristine to completely mangeld at the wreckers for a fifth to a tenth of their official value.
Be sure however to get a complete engine: block, inlet, airbox, wiring, CDI's and dash. Everything you get at the wrecker is cheap, which won't be the case at the dealer.
Ebay and alikes are also a good source and most of the time the bits are cleaned and taken out of the wreck.
Tom De Moor

There are some nice V8 TDi engines about how about one of them? ;)
Jag V12? ;) Mini Cooper S? (no turbo there ;) )
My choice would probably be a BM straight 6. I know too many people who have built bike engined kit cars to race who just don't like there lack of torque.

BMW straight six is far too heavy, way too tall and nowhere near evvy enough. Regarding the bike engine, I've been in a hayabusa engined car, insufficient torque is never ever ever an issue.

I am thinking you are right. Old oil cooled with a head skim and carb setup will give healthy 150bhp

Hmmm, they're getting on a bit these days, plus there's the cooling issues associated with oil-cooled lumps - they're fine run 'in the open' in a bike, but not convinced it would be fine under a bonnet.
I'd be looking for something more modern, to be honest. Somthing with EFI and a power-commander would be good.

R1, or if feeling flush zx-14/zx-10