Very OT: Engine transplant question (car related)

I currently have this as my fun car.

However, I am fairly close to doing a deal on this as it's replacement
The clubmans car in the second pic would be coming as a rolling chassis as he would be keeping the steel xflow in it just now.

So - suggestions for engines - no V8s or turbo engines of any sort. Definitely no diesels - ever, ever ever.

I'm thinking GSXR1100

Suggestions ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Other than you have valid thinking?

Best to put first a similar engine to what it has now: the GSXR might come in later but for now the car needs to be sorted (drive, suspension, etc) so you can get used to the way it drives and handles.

Once there you can fit it with a bike engine (GSR1100, Hayabusa, Blackbird or R1, the biggest displacement engine will yield best torque and power) which will need also modifications to the chassis, the gear selection and the suspension.

Be sure to baffle the sump and if possible increase the radiator. Bike rads are about 4 times too small on a car (because you will spend more time at full power and a lower speed than on as bike)

Putting in a bike-engine will come with some extra problems and that's best kept a part from you learing the car. Do not underestimated : the bike engine is not a straight fit but well worth the hassle. Best thing is the weight going down.

Overall the car looks nicely balanced. Does the driver sits on the diff or does the transmission axe runs under his behind? Or is the diff slightly out of center?

The car is very yellow but a real racecar can't be yellow or bright red enough. Single seaters are big fun on normal roads.

Good luck with it and enjoy the beast.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

How about a non turbo RX7 or RX8 rotary? Smooth, can rev very high? Or maybe what about the VTEC unit from a smashed S2000?

Reply to
Elder

Hayabusa.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

There are some nice V8 TDi engines about how about one of them? ;)

Jag V12? ;) Mini Cooper S? (no turbo there ;) )

My choice would probably be a BM straight 6. I know too many people who have built bike engined kit cars to race who just don't like there lack of torque.

Reply to
Depresion

I am thinking you are right. Old oil cooled with a head skim and carb setup will give healthy 150bhp

Reply to
Burgerman

BMW straight six is far too heavy, way too tall and nowhere near evvy enough. Regarding the bike engine, I've been in a hayabusa engined car, insufficient torque is never ever ever an issue.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

RX7 rotary, good idea. S2000 is way too tall and the gearbox is mahoosive. Would never fit in.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Natch.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

How about a Corolla 1.6 20v engine? Variable valve timing and quad throttle bodies give it about 160bhp in standard form I think, with more available with the cat and associated nonsense. Nice and revvy, light and compact(ish), plus it's the same block as the 16v lump from the mk1 MR2/AE86 so plenty of goodies and RWD parts to keep you happy.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The Hayabusa bods in the club allegedly have to rebuild more often than the ZX9R bods. Personally I have no idea, I just heard it mentioned in the paddock at the weekend.

I may have a 1 litre polo engine spare soon, perhaps John could fit that while he decides...

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It has a crossflow now. It's not exactly what I'd consider slow (I drive a normally aspirated Peugeot Diesel at the moment however). Any of those engines would make it pretty nuts.

I think TDM is right, fire something cheap, simple and disposable in there for the time being.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Listening closely, you were not young Douglas. Tis the blades whot break, not the Busas. As Yoda might have said.

Anyway - this is all horse cack. I can't afford a busa. Not now, not next week, not next year.

Maybe a ZX9R though - that would be good.

(P.S. You left just before the FuryBusa broke a ten year old record :-)))))

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Fairy nuff. My guru has a 4A-GE in his hillclimb / sprint car and it's a little rev monster (very close to a BDA apparently). His has no rev limit, just keep going and going. Will add that to some sort of fictitious list in my head...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Jings. I forget what I ordered in the chip shop between ordering and paying sometimes. I seriously doubt I should be trusted with any useful information ever. Still, at least I got the Kawasaki=better of 2 somethings thing correct. (c:

Heh, broke it twice by the looks of things. Wouldn't have happened with a Fireblade engine. Good work boys!

A few new course records, which is not what I expected given the pissing rain during practice.

For those wondering what we're blithering on about, it's a local motorsport club event held over last weekend.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Hmmm, they're getting on a bit these days, plus there's the cooling issues associated with oil-cooled lumps - they're fine run 'in the open' in a bike, but not convinced it would be fine under a bonnet.

I'd be looking for something more modern, to be honest. Somthing with EFI and a power-commander would be good.

Reply to
SteveH

In news:JrKdnXVZCa0 snipped-for-privacy@bt.com, Bob Sherunckle wittered on forthwith;

What about something torquey as opposed to mega-revvy, like a 996 Ducati lump?

It'd sound most excellent.

I suspect my fixation with V engines may well be uncurable....

Reply to
Pete M

The 20v engine is expensive (£1k plus for an imported low mileage one with all the ancillaries, wiring and ECU). If you wanted to keep it cheap then a normal 16v version is peanuts. I picked one up complete with loom and ECU for £100. Or you could go for the slightly later one from a Corolla GTi that has a little bit more power (130bhp IIRC).

Our 20 year old 16v spec engine goes to almost 8krpm, race derived engines are mental!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You don't get much more disposable than an RX7 Rotary :)

Reply to
Elder

1 out of 3 ain't bad.
Reply to