Water injection: bull or brill?

Is water injection as good as they say it is. I`ve been offered water injection at a good price and want to know what your opinions are.

There is a lot of bull on the web, althought I do know that power increases by 3% for every 10c the air temp goes down.

So I have to conclude that injecting water - however counter productive it would seem is a good perfomance mod for turbo cars, (especially if your intercooler is lacking).

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

I've never heard anyone have anything against water injection once it done properly, aquamist being a good definition of properly.

I'm gettin the basic aquamist kit for mine shortly (1S kit?) for 310uk£ delivered

Reply to
Chet

If done properly excellent. as chet said go with a reputable supplier.

Reply to
Mason

Depends what it's on really, if you are running an stupid amount of n2o or high boost then defiantly, i'm not sure about some claims that it increases fuel efficiency and other marketing crap. But it will protect your car from detonation up to a certain degree, as with anything don't buy some "home brew" kit off ebay, go for quality (like chet mentioned) there are a few good makes in the uk. Just research and commit.

What car are you putting it on and what kind of power is it putting out?

That 3% figure isn't strictly true, but you will get more power simply because the air will become more dense, and therefore more oxygen gets into the mix.

Reply to
REMUS

The 3% figure I gave refered to the fact that air density increases by 3% every 10c, at -273c air will have no volume - in theroy at least, it would hve turned into a liquid or solid at those temps. What i wondered is it true that the water will help combustion? I can see it is feasable but cant see it helping that much.

I`m going to run a 2.9 v6 turbo, so it is for detonation control.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Have you ever heard people saying their cars seem to run better when it's misty or foggy?

Reply to
Rebelrouser

What boost are you going to be running? And what is the car for, 1/4 mile? Also what car is the 2.9 v6 in?

imo water injection is for people running 150-200+ bhp above standard.

Reply to
REMUS

Yes but: Hardly scientific is it? it could be due to the fact that the air is cold when foggy and that the bareometrice pressure is higher when foggy.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

no normal driving, Its in a kitcar designed by myself running ford 2.9 v6 with 2 turbos. 4x4 running gear

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

I would say, don't bother then, imo you should get a 1000cc+ motor bike (depending on the weight of the kit car im assumeing its a light frame?) engine and stick n2o on that. Much faster! If you already have it then take what I have said into consideration, just ask yourself "is the engine in any danger" ;)

Reply to
REMUS

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

It's a good alternative if you don't have room for a decent sized intercooler, otherwise it's just something else than can go wrong with disastrous results.

Reply to
Homer

What does it look like? Do you have any photos? TBH if you only want 300-400bhp and aren't too bothered about weight it would be cheaper and more reliable just to get a mildly tuned V8.

Reply to
Homer

Aggreed, i`m making a twin entry charge cooler, adding the water injection as a safety device as apposed to a primary protection system.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

I`ll get photos when i`m out working on it next. I`ve finished the chassis and i`m putting it together at the mo. Hence i`m trying to decide what brackets i need to put without the engine in place. Cant use a v8 as i`m using a ford 4x4 gearbox. DOES anyone know this: Will a ford v8 fit to an mt75 4x4?

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Chet - the Fiat Coupe owners club are doing a group buy on the Aquamist stuff from Apex at the moment, price for the 1S is ~£250 + P&P .. bloody good price!

Adam M