well, I carried out a mod today...

Yes indeedy, my goof now has a lay flat rear wiper! Considering there are about 1001 other things that needed doing first...

  1. sort out wheel judder at slow speed on left lock
  2. sort out stainless exhaust banging on floor pan
  3. sort out badly worn door hinges (doors 'dropped')
4...etc
Reply to
tomScotland

A quid says that'll need a new exhaust...

Tell me how you get on with that. I've got new pins but can't bring myself to hammer the old ones out and the new ones in, as it's apparently a bitch of a job.

Reply to
Doki

I've just done one on the SD1. Used a G clamp with a suitable socket over the head of the pin to get it started - tightened it up till it groaned then 'tapped' the end of the G-clamp. Changed to a pin punch after it was flush with the top of the hinge.

The old one didn't appear worn to the eye - but the new one sorted things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope. Had it up on the ramp today, the exhaust was blowing slightly (standard downpipe, SS mid and rear, blowing at first joint), but not banging anywhere. The banging must be coming from the suspension. It has Billies, shorter springs and poly bushes, I suspect the setup is so firm thats where the noise is coming from.

Meh, looks like its going to be tricky, I'll keep you posted. Where did you source the new pins btw?

Reply to
tomScotland

Is it the exhaust banging on the rear beam as the lowered suspension compresses when you go over bumps?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The general fuckup with aftermarket exhausts for the MK2 is that they don't hoop high enough over the rear beam, and this is what causes the knocking, when the beam arcs up as the suspension gets loaded. I've not had a MK2 where the suspension has *banged*. A bit of bush noise, yes, but not banging.

GPC down in Luton or somewhere, mailorder. They have a website, but their price list is out of date, as someone lost the password a couple of years ago (!). I suspect the dealers will still have them too.

Reply to
Doki

Probably :D. Should really have read the rest of the thread first...

Reply to
Doki