what's the point of fast cars?

Cars with big engines seem self indulgent given the current environmental situation, surely the future for motoring is alternative fuel, hybrids or at least fuel efficient cars? Given the speed limit what is the point in fast cars anyway?

Check out

formore car and other transport related issues!

Reply to
dontpanicmedia

Freedom. use it or lose it.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Oh, the irony of the sender's name. Don't panic indeed. Then do some research into the actual environmental impact of cars (for a start, look at the beginning and end of a car's lifecycle).

Also, big engine and fast car aren't necessarily the same, and come to think of it, anything over basic subsistence levels could be deemed self indulgent.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Some of us haven't given up on life yet.

Reply to
Conor

The climate is a dynamic system, currently operating near the middle of its historic range.

If we get fusion up and running synthetic petrol would be cheap.

Germany.

Alistair J Murray

Indeed, and I do like to indulge myself.

Puts a grin on my face everytime.

Ironically just as big a grin as that when I cycle to work past all the drivers who aren't moving :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

IoM, any of the thankfully hundreds of motorsport venues dotted across the country many of which you can turn upto with nothing more than a normal driving licence, your car and some cash and thrash the hell out of it for a day getting single figure MPG and waving 2 fingers at the green lobby.

Reply to
Depresion

I give this a 3.2 on the troll scope.

But a nice big 8 for spam.

Reply to
Depresion

Are we marking out of 5?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com waffled thus:

Yeeeeeeeehhaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww

Reply to
Abo

Well duh. They're fast. Why do you need a point?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

They're fun and I like them. So f*ck off and bother someone else with youw whining.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Of course they're self indulgent, we're self indulgent beings. Greenies are self indulgent too, going so sleep at night in their recycled poo beds and ecologically friendly pyjamas so they can forget the fact that they too are parasites on this world.

Given the speed limit

Well, that speed limit is just a guidance, you can actually go as fast as the car will take you on the public roads. As long as you don't get caught or crash, it's perfectly fine.

Reply to
cubastreet

You're quite right, that's why I drive a sensible, 1.3 litre 4-door car, made in Japan.

The fact that it does 140mph, and returns 24mpg, is beside the point.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

These boys say 2.6 litre

ThePunisher

I thought they were (or at least deffo the RX7s) 2 x 649cc rotors?

Reply to
DanTXD

They must be using the French system over there they have always doubled what we would call them as they consider them 2 strokes. In the USA they classify them for race use as 3.9L.

Reply to
Depresion

2 x 654cc for me, but yep.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Over there? It's a UK award.

Reply to
ThePunisher

It's not using the UK system for calculating the engine size.

Reply to
Depresion