05 Saleen S281 SC vs 04 Cobra - Which would you choose?

I'm looking to make a purchase in less than three months. I have the funds for both of these bad boys, but I'm torn between looks and performance. I love the new Saleen aesthetically, but I love the idea of the iron block and smaller price tag for the Cobra.

There isn't much data around for the 05 Saleen just yet, but hp numbers are equivalent to the Cobra's.

Though I'm leaning towards the Saleen, just for exclusivity, I'm still not sure if that's enough to warrant an extra $15-20k!

-Wrath

Reply to
hourofthewolf_9

opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Well, what worries me is the opinion of the European man on the street on US foreign policy....

Meaning - if you have to ask... ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I considered S281 before buying my '03 Cobra convertible. Looked at and drove a couple of them and was unimpressed with the final product. You'll find the fit and finish not up to par with the factory product (although that's not saying much; overlook the way Cobra body panels are joined and you'll be fine) and the brakes on S are SCARY! Sure the S goes, but you've wrung out most of the performance right up front. With the Cobra you can go 600-700hp without much trouble.

S also keeps the live rear axle where the Cobra has the factory IRS. Something to consider for those occaisions when you need to turn the wheel on a bumpy road!

Longevity and reliability need to be considered. I've go 25,000 miles on the Cobra with only regular maintenance and no unexpected trips to the dealer. It would be nice to hear some S owners chime in here.

Good luck with the decision. Keep us updated!

hourofthewolf snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Rick Olive

I'd go for the Cobra. IMO you get more for less money.

Rein

Are you going to leave it stock? Or do you want to mod it?

If you are planning to buy and drive it and that's it, go with your heart. Either car will be satisfying.

If you want to play with it immediately the Cobra will be easier, less expensive, and more parts are available. You can achieve repectable handling and a 700 hp car as quickly as you can spend money. I know for a fact that Saleen took long time to figure out their new supercharger on that 3V motor. There are three computers on the system now and any tune has to manage them all. The Saleen combo works but that's all you'll have for at least two years except for exhaust mods and any free tweaks people discover. It will also take about that long for the rest of the market to even begin to get parts out the public. So, the Saleen will most likely have to stay pretty much as you bought it for some time.

Dan

2003 Cobra convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
dwtalso

agreed...

- irs>live axle (for most apps)

- 6-speed>5-speed

- 4-valve>2-valve

also aren't the brakes also better on the cobra? or is that upgraded with the s-281 (either way the rear brakes are bigger on the svt)

however to me: saleen body kit/wheels>cobra.

the saleen aero package looks killer!

chris

04 comp orange cobra vert

Reply to
Chris Shea

whoops, just realized that he's talking 05 saleen mustang, so i dont even know if what i just posted is accurate!!

peace

Reply to
Chris Shea

Yes, the Cobra's IRS is a plus for me. Fit and finish is a concern on the Saleen. Aren't the spoilers held on with two-sided tape? Brilliant. I shudder to think what lurks beneath the Cobra's exterior.

Did you drive the 05 or an 03 Saleen? I've heard rumors the 05's quality is much improved over last year's. Performance is supposedly outstanding, too, receiving a 25 pony increase over the 04's.

I think the Cobra is the best bet performance wise, but I just love the looks of the '05 Saleen. Perhaps I could dump a Cobra motor into the

05? Yeah. That's it.

-Wrath

Reply to
hourofthewolf_9

I told myself if I ever bought a Cobra I'd never modify it, as it's really not necessary to have more than 400 hp for a street driven car. It's doubtful the car will ever see more than three weekends at the track in one season, so why bother modding? But, then my rational side takes over, and I *know* I could never be happy with...a......stock hotrod. Or maybe I could.

I've driven a Cobra at length and found myself quite satisfied with the power, but after seeing and falling madly in love with the 05 Saleen, the Cobra just looks down right OLD. And if I can talk myself into staying stock, the Saleen would probably keep that doofy ass grin on my face for a very long time.

-Wrath

Reply to
hourofthewolf_9

The 05 has an brake upgrade package to 14". Not sure what the base size is?

And it *is* the body kit on the Saleen that has my attention. Well that combined with the 05's overall updated look. Good grief, who could NOT love this look?

Okay, looks *are* subjective, but to me the Saleen is beautiful.

Reply to
hourofthewolf_9

Definitely looks better than factory, but still looks like ass to me. Sorry. I'd stick w/ the 04 Cobra.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I agree, I LOVE what Saleen did with the body. I think they completed the car. After thah, I think I would want it to be from the factory.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate