05 Forester vs. 06 Forester (including LL Bean)

I'm in the market for a Forester and am leaning heavily towards an LL Bean. I don't care about the 6 CD Changer, Moonroof, etc. but leather seats are important to me as well as the winter features such as the windshield wiper defrosters. I know I may be able to look at a older (03-04) XS with leather added but I don't want to get a car that's too old. I have even considered a 05 or 06 Premium with leather added aftermarket. The perfect car would be a LL Bean though and I'm just undecided between a 05 and 06. I know 05's can be hard to find at a good price. The deals I've seen (there are few) are almost as expensive as a new car. Two things concern me about the newer 06's. First, I do like the new sleeker look of the 06's much more than the

05's. Yet I'm a practical person. Things like gas mileage, safety, and practicalltiy are what I look at. Looks aren't everything to me but what concerns me, if I'm reading right the 06's actually have slightly less room in the back than the 05's. Is this true? As well, it seems like cabin space is also less but not as much of a difference. I even notice it seems from 02 to 03 there was a drop in space. Second, the spare tire. it seems they switched from a full size spare to doughnut tire in the 06's. Yet from my reading, is this all models? Some web sites lead me to below only the X did that, the others still have full-size but it mentions the full size being replaced by a smaller spare and storage area. I know I can buy a full size and keep it in the back but even it doesn't have full size, could I still buy a full size and fit it in the area that the small size is currently in? At one point I thought that the 06's had rear air bags but it seems I must have read wrong. I know from what I'm reading there was a increase in ground clearance which I like. As well, I don't know how important this is but I know the 06's have more HP. I'm not into speed but want something that's powerful and in Colorado where I live something that can do mountain driving. As well, I know the car alarm is standard now which I like. I know there may be other differences I'm overlooking but the size and spare tire are my two biggest concerns. I know there are a lot of improvements and everything is pluses and minuses. There is no perfect car. I think every year with new safety features such as more airbags, etc. it's a challenge to sell an affordable car and sometimes featurs have to be cut.
Reply to
Mark W

There is at least ine Forester specific forum in addition to

and
. I mention them because, sometimes, you can find people who are in the opposite mindframe as you.(many people in the SW don't care for leather - too hot) They want cloth seats and the premium stuff. You might arrange a trade. Even a friendly dealership might allow such a request on a bulletin board in a public area or something, but putting the request out on the forums will hit the most people. It won't be easy and likely antone wanting to trade will end up being miles/states away - but it's possible. STI and WRX owners are always swapping trunk lids. I think there are airbags in the side bolsters of the seats - so take care about who does the 'swapping' or adding aftermarket seat coverings. I assume you've read through the spec changes as documented at
.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan