1965 Mustang engine problem

Hi:

I've got a 1965 Mustang - 289 2v carb - all rebuilt, but it's been sitting for many years - about 10, perhaps (withough starting or running at all). After cleaning the gunk from the carb and the gas tank, replacing the fuel pump, plugs, points, condenser, plug wires... I have a problem when it first starts up.

When it starts from cold, it farts, hiccups, coughs, misses and generally runs quite rough for perhaps a minute or a bit less before it starts to run smoother. Once it's warmed up, it's quite smooth, idles well, accelerates well, etc. Opening the choke plate doesn't seem to affect the problem at all, and I did lower the fuel level in the float chamber because it was running rough at mid-speed.

I'm wondering if perhaps some of the hydraulic lifters were affected by the long sitting and that the valve adjustments were being thrown off until oil pressure had a chance to build up and the lifters were able to set the valves properly. Does this make any sense?

Dave

Reply to
davemcc

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote in news:1149038172.714041.89160 @j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If they were, you'd hear them clattering like all get out. The carb probably needs rebuilding.

Reply to
elaich

or the automatic choke is not working

Reply to
John

Actually, that clattering you mention does seem to describe what I'm hearing along with all the other noise. It does go away, but it takes perhaps 30 seconds - I should time it next time I start the engine.

The carb has been rebuilt - it was in sad shape but I think it's good now.

Any ideas how to figure out which lifter(s) might be bad?

Dave

Reply to
davemcc

Reply to
walt peifer

One thing you could do is take the valve cover off and have someone briefly start the engine while you watch and listen to the valve train. If you have a bad lifter or a bent push rod, that's causing the noise, you may be able to spot it right away. The down side of course is that oil will be thrown around.

For what it's worth!

Gene from Georgia

Reply to
CCTGENE

On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:47:58 GMT, "CCTGENE" puked:

You mean ya don't have an old valve cover with the top cut off of it?

lab~rat >:-)