1992 Rodeo 3.1 V6 cold start / rough idle problem

Hello, I have a '92 Rodeo (3.1 liter v6 carb equipped) running really rough. I have to gun the heck out of it to keep it running in the morning and once it warms up, it idles kind of rough.

I am still getting about 19 MPG, so I'm thinking it's the choke behaving poorly.

Any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
bryan w

I could be wrong, but I thought all the 3.1L (GM) engines were TBI (throttle body injection)... not carburetor. If that's the case, you might want to try some fuel / injector cleaner before you go to a bigger repair!

Good luck. Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

no...it's definitely a carb.

Reply to
bryan w

Perhaps a vacuum leak. We have the same set up but never this problem. I would love to get 19 MPG. We are closer to 12. Any hotshots out there with suggestions?

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Well... I just checked the parts books, and they only show TBI for this engine. TBI does look (externally) just like a two barrel carburetor... but there's no float bowl, venturi tubes or choke plates. It uses two big injectors, located where the choke or venturi tubes would be on a carb. The computer tells the injectors when to spray fuel... instead of engine vacuum pulling fuel up and atomizing it.

If you've really got a carb on there, it probably doesn't belong. Either way, if it was running fine until recently, I'd try the fuel / injector cleaner. I've had some success on fixing fuel problems (both carb and injector) with it.

Good luck.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

get the 3.1L diesel straight 4 cyl...

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

I have a 92 3.1 and it mine has a dual throttle-body fuel injector. Never heard of a carb.

However, I don't get anywhere 19Mpg in normal driving, so maybe I need a carb ?

Jim H

Reply to
Jim Helfer