1.3 cvh running problem

hi, ive just purchased an 1984 fiesta ghia with a 1.3 cvh. just got one problem with it, it is very reluctant to go above 3000rpm out of gear and wont go above 3000 when in gear! as you can imagine this is making the car very gutless. does anyone know whatt might be the problem as ive had all sorts of things suggested- the carb, the engines knckered, spark plugs or the distribultor/rotor, so dont know where to start!!

Reply to
david johnstone

first thing to check is the cam timing, then the ignition timing

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

How dirty is the air filter? Fuel filter?

HT leads can make quite a difference too, even if there isn't a misfire I've seen Fiestas where changing the leads makes a huge difference to power.

If it were me I'd change the rotor arm and dist cap, get new leads and new spark plugs, new air filter and possibly new fuel filter.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

It could be just about anything but quite likely is the fueling. Not sure which carb that model has but if it's got a vacuum secondary choke the diaphragm might be split or if not there might some blockage in the main jet circuit. A worn fuel pump could be putting out only enough fuel for low rpm or the fuel filter might be blocked. However it might be nothing to with the above so you just work through all the normal service items one at a time as well as checking cam timing. A compression test would be a good place to start because there's no point trying to tune up an engine that's knackered.

-- Dave Baker

Reply to
Dave Baker

sounds like a fuelling problem

Reply to
richard.ingall

If i remember correctly fiesta's of this vintage have the shity VV carb, dump it and fit a webber from a later car...

Reply to
john

And the firing order. If someone's put the HT leads on in the wrong order it can potentially still run, but misfire a *lot* and have limited power like you describe. But because it's still running, people often think that they must be in the right order.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

If the leads are in the wrong order then two cylinders must be out, it is hard to even move the car on two, but if one cylinder is out, you can still drive, but with massive power loss. But I do agree it is a possibility.

A blow between cylinders can also give a large but still driveable power loss.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

thanks for all the suggestions. think part of the problem amy have been the car had been standing for 3 months. took the car out earlier and it slowly seems to be sorting itself out. gonna give a good service anyway and see what happens, and definately going to get a webber fitted!!

Reply to
david johnstone

This will be a VV carb'd model. I would happily put my knackers on a bacon slicer and tell you this is your problem.

Either the vacuum passage is blocked, or more likely the diaphragm has split.

The best thing you can do is junk the hateful VV and source a Weber replacement. Try

or
both of which are excellant.

The Weber 26/28 DFTM and manifold from a 1.4 CVH is a direct swap, but may need some rejetting to get optimum results.

When you've done this, turn your attention to the distrubutor and have the advance springs replaced and the curve checked, as I can guarrentee they'll have gone weak and be giving you too much advance too early on. Getting the fuelling and ignition spot on and you'll find its quite a willing if gruff performer.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..