2008 Shelby GT500 My 20 plus month wait is over...

Well I ordered my 2008 Shelby GT500 over a year and a half ago, it came off the truck at my dealers yesterday late afternoon, I just picked it up this morning at 8am. My small town Ford dealer got two 2007's and two 2008's, mine was his 4th and last.

Black, no stripes...

For those of you who would like to see, here is a picture of it...

DAMN!!! It is better than I ever imagined!!!

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Nice.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Beautiful, there's nothin' as sweet as an all black car. Congrats!

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt. (improved and Black) '08 Cobra HT (Blue w/White stripe "Circus Edition") :D

Reply to
John C.

So how many internal organs did you have to sell in order to get it?

Reply to
A Wolf of ill repute

OK Here is some more of the story...

I was just a few years too late to buy a new high performance Ford in 1967,

68, 69, 70 or 71... Have had to settle for used Fords and their factory speed parts, and I had and used, even abused the shit out of, many of them, I always had great regrets about being born too late to take part in the heyday of the great American muscle car era. I was just too damn young to walk into the dealer and buy a $4,000 ish dollar factory muscle car.

So step a few decades, well more like 3.5 decades into the future. Ford comes out with arguable the best Mustang ever built, outstanding looks, world class suspension. super car drive train, and a NICE finished interior, unlike the new Camaro's hodgepodge looking dash. Wow here I am, I have the means and opportunity to order mine exactly as I want it. Well, less an automatic temperature control panel, Sheehs. Another bite at the apple! Photo of odometer with 3.5 miles on it.

Does the shit most of these short sighted greedy dealerships have done and are still doing with these 2007-2008 Shelby GT500s piss me off? Oh Yeah! I've spent many hours pounding my point of view about it into the thick skulls of dozens of salesmen, sales managers, general managers and dealership owners. They understand how distasteful and inappropriate their gouging is to life long Ford customers. It probably made no difference in the scheme of things, but I felt better about speaking my mind and squashing their silly reasoning for it.

So August a year and a half ago, I put a $1000 refundable deposit down for my spot to order my Shelby GT500, at $5000 over MSRP. In August 2006 they were selling like hot cakes at $25,000 over MSRP. My childhood friend bought his 2007 for $16,000 over MSRP.

My standard vehicle price: $41,930 GAS GUZZLER TAX $1,300 HID headlamps $525 GT500 Premium Trim Package $595 Vehicle & Options $44,350 Destination & Delivery $745 Total MSRP $45,095 My cost $50,095

Yes there are some Shelby's sitting on the ground now (only in the last two months) around here selling at MSRP. But you get what you get, not EXACTLY what you want. I have looked at literally hundreds of for sale adds and auctions, and have NEVER seen one configured just like mine. I decide that if I could not order it exactly how I wanted it, I would simply do without. My choice was pay $5000 to get to order MY 2008 Shelby GT500 exactly to my liking, or take a chance on missing my second bite at the apple. I'm still alive 35 years after I missed the late 60's heyday, I may not be around in

30 or 40 years, for the next round.

Besides, the price gouging dispute was purely based on principle, I paid cash for my Shelby, well personal check drawn on my cash in the bank. To me the $5000 still rubs me the wrong way, but I was willing to pay it for my second bite at the apple as it were. After putting my first 85 miles on it, I can say, that $5000 Additional Dealer Markup will in no way interfere with absolute shit eating grin total enjoyment of my new 500 horsepower factory Ford. DAMN! I've been waiting my whole life for this car!

My Name is Nobody

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

nice car. The way I look at things like that occasional $5000 is that if I plan on keeping the car for 5 years it's really only $1000 a year. If you keep it for 10 years it's only $500 a year tribute to have what you want. And if you keep it long enough the money will start to come your way again :-)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I am GREEN with envy!

Reply to
Mort Guffman

That /is/ a beauty!

Reply to
Frank ess

That is one sweet looking ride.

CRAP! I need a new keyboard...mine got wet with drool!

Reply to
John Carrigan