302 V8 upgrade on six w/ auto tranny 1969 Mustang

I just bought a 69 coupe with the 250 inline six w/ auto tranny. I have a

302 lined up and ready to be transplanted, this should be a straight deal right? Or are there going to be major implications. I also plan to put in a manual trans a little later, any recommendations? Also will the 302 mate with the original transmission properly or do I need to buy an adapter? Chadon
Reply to
<chadon

Before you dig in to this project, you need to do a little more research. You can't just pull out the 6 and bolt in a 8, there's a lot more to it than that. And you can't bolt an 8 to a 6 trans, it won't survive. And if you're going to all that trouble, why waste it on a measly 302?

Reply to
boB

This is probally the easiest of the 6 to 8 swaps in ford history. if you in fact have the "big 6" or 250 cid engine. It is a direct swap the 69 with 250 cid had 5 lug wheel larger radiator standard v-8 rear and larger bell housing and torque convertor. Some of the wire leads will not be long enough (oil sender water temp ect) adn the tranny and fuel lines need to be replace because of routing problems. The motor mounts them selves need to be changed. You may need to stiffen the front springs then again maybe not. depends on the abuse the car took prior to the swap

Reply to
walt peifer

I'd have to agree. A friend from High School did this swap - 250 to 302

- in a 1973 Maverick AT. It did help to have a 1974 Comet GT MT as a donor car for the mounts, etc. The AT flywheel stayed w/ the transmission and the 302 and it all bolted right up. I think a slight change to the tranny mount, and a little driveshaft work(can't remember if it was shortened or lengthened) was the biggest issue.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
David E Willson