351 from 94 Bronco into an 86?

Hello RAMFM!

Wow, have I been gone forever, or what? Parenthood....some of you understand. :)

I have been lurking a bit the last few weeks...waiting to make my re- entrance into the NG, but I saw a classified ad locally today that's brought me out of hiding prematurely...

Guy is selling a 351 and transmission from a 94 Bronco. Would that bolt up into my 86 GT? What kind of fabrication, if any, would we be talking about? I assume I'd get the whole kit from the guy, engine and computer/etc. (I figure I'd need a new hood for sure, and probably some exhaust fitment, but otherwise? Motor/trans mounts and overall engine bay fit?)

Would I want this engine? Being it's from a Bronco would it do any good in a Mustang?

Transmission wise I am not sure yet his ad just says "Auto" - mine has the AOD, would a 94 be AOD or AODE?

I figured to ask here before I call the guy - since he may be inclined to tell me anything to make the sale...

Help is appreciated from anyone...thanks guys!

JD (the non-Adams JD :) )

Reply to
JD Fensty

HELMUT RONER

Ooops. Sorry about the incomplete post.

Just get the motor. Your AOD will bolt up to it just fine. You just need to make sure you keep the 351W flexplate as it is 28 oz vs the 5.0s 50oz. You can use your stock electronics on it. You'll just need a different intake set up because the trucks use a twin bore throttle body and you'll have to fabricated stuff to make it work. You're going to want to upgrade to mass air if you haven't already. No telling if your stock speed density EEC will work with the cam profile the trucks use. The motor mount positions between the 5.0 and the

351W are the same so it will drop right in with your original motor mounts, although you will want better aftermarket mounts). Now, just *MY* opinion on this is the swap is a waste of time without actually building up the motor with all new guts. Just leaving the motor stock as it was when still in the truck is like "polishing a turd." I would suggest matching heads, cam, & intake. Be sure you do a lot of body bracing. Rule of thumb is to build the car around the motor before you at power to it. Subframe connectors, welding up torque boxes, roll cage of soe sort, driveshaft safety loop, etc. etc. in case you don't have any of these. In stone cold stock form my car had stress fractures in the front windshield pillars from all the hell I used to give it.

Helmut Roner Beat Up 1988 Mustang GT

Reply to
HELMUT RONER

Now for other stuff you'll need for it to drop right in are 351W specific headers, a Fox Body 351W swap oil pan (or get one from an 80s 351W Crown Victoria), and the 351W specific bracket for the A/C if you still have it. I'm too hungry to get into the rest of this post. Someone else can chime in and continue it.

Reply to
HELMUT RONER