78 Bronco

I'm having a problem with my 78 Bronco. It hesitates then dies. Sometimes it won't start for an hour. It seems to happen more often when it's cold and when it's going up a hill.

Just about everything on the truck has been replaced since December 02. New Holley Truck Avenger 4 barrel carb, alternator, starter, power steering pump, battery, new hoses on the fuel line, new fuel pump, new C6 transmission, ignition module, ignition coil.

About the only thing that hasn't been replaced are the engine and the distributor/plugs/wires.

I'm in the Denver, Colorado area. Took it to lower elevations (Fargo, ND) and it seemed to be running better there. I bought the truck in Nebraska for a steal and have been replacing things as they've needed it. It sat around for 8 years, so anything with rubber is shot.

There is a leak in the fill hose from the gas cap to the tank, good luck on finding that anywhere around here. So far I've been quoted 3-4 hundred for a custom bent stainless steel tube.

I'm not sure what it could be, and would like to get it fixed without replacing everything that I haven't already replaced.

Any one had this problem before? Any ideas on what could be causing the problem or where I could get a rubber till hose would be greatly appreciated. Replies to the group or email equally welcome.

Connor

Reply to
Connor

check the fuel delevery system. float level, mixture,carb heating, things like that. just because the carb is new does not mean it is any good

Reply to
Falcoon

Shoot you got problems... I better come get that and get rid of it for you. ;)

Fuel filter and/or carb fuel level right underload ok? When it dies stop and quickly check the fuel level in the carb.

My girl friend's '86 Leakin' did that and it was the electronics inside the distributor, but don't know if '78 had that same junk. Prob'ly not since it was fuel injected.

I like those Borg/Warner wires with the nickel wire instead of the carbon and string. Might as well... they aren't expensive and can sure enough -keep- it running good if not run better.

Your carb sounds like it -was- jetted too rich for the higher elevation and is better now, but could still be too rich or twitchy, sometimes right, sometimes not.

Carefully remove the original and wash it up good with soap and water and solder it with ~97%Sn+3%Ag! :)

Screw email. Answers here get reviewed by others. (mine don't need it tho;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

choke plate not fully opened

don't try to solder it it is a rubber hose this link will get you close it covers '80 on up, but they can probobly source you out an acceptable replacement.http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/20/95from the gas cap to the tank. >finding that anywhere around here. So far I've been quoted 3-4 hundred for >a custom bent stainless steel tube.>

Reply to
JDApollo

Not origional equipment is it......well to diagnois need to know.....carbureator cfm flow rate....float bowl settings, primary jet size, secondary jet size, venturi size, engine displacement, cam...stock, rv, drag, 3/4 race, full race....cam lift, duration, overlap...stock exhaust or headers...etc, etc...but off the top of my head it sounds like you're running mucho rich...or flooding with choke plate closed.......used to set up after market carb conversions...piece of cake if you've got the equipment and the vehicle all day and overnight..try dropping the primary jets to about.....30's and the secondaries to about 55's or 60's...set the float by removing BIG plug in side of front float bowl and crank seat down till fuel just STARTS to come out of hole and then go 1/8 turn lower...same on rear float bowl...at least that'll get ya to a place where ya can maybe see some improvement...

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore