65 Mustang Engine Transplant

Hello,
I'm looking for some opinions on the smallest useful engine that can be transplanted into a 1965 ford mustang... Is it a stretch to say that a
honda accord engine might be compatible and/or even strong enough to drive the mustang?
Or maybe the easier option is to modify the stang's 289 v8 to make it more fuel efficient. Comments/suggestions?
Thanks!
Michael
On 22 Jan 2006 14:51:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Easier to modify your foot.
--

December 9, 2005 (CNN) While interviewing an anonymous
US Special Forces soldier, a Reuters News agent asked
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

    May you burn in eternal hellfires...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What mileage do you want?
The same as the late 5.0's?
you pay..DEAL with it!
On 22 Jan 2006 14:51:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A ricer in a Mustang????? Is lynching still permitted?
--
Spike
Spike wrote:

I can't help but agree. I'm sure ANYTHING is possible with a sufficient amount of money and elbow grease applied. Nationalist sentiments aside, it would probably be a lot easier to transplant an inline Ford 6 cylinder like a 200 or 250 which was both available and plentiful at that time. With appropriate tweaking, those engines CAN be quite fuel efficient with the old single barrel carbs.
Keep in mind that your time is allegedly also worth something. So spending a month trying to shoehorn in a more fuel efficient engine might not be the big money saver that you think.
Lastly, I suspect the original post was a joke....but ya' never know....
Cheers,

what's a honda?

Good thing we can't actually reach into the computer monitor and slap some sense into you. honda, crap, you should have your Stang taken away from you for even THINKING that. Must be a troll...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You want a fuel sipping mustang?
1) Find one of the very rare 1969 Mustang E's. 200 cid I6 with a trans set up for fuel economy.
2) Mustang ii 4 cylinder.
3) 1979-1993 4 cylinder.
Don't hack up a perfectly good '65.
If you really want a '65 with better fuel economy, buy a '65 with 170 or 200 cid I6.
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 03:16:49 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote:

Having owned a Mustang II I tend to disagree with this... Unless specially set up, even the V8s were dogs. I think the 4 banger would have to strain more to move that much weight. It might save some in the short haul, but in the long run... it's a question. I had the 302 w/4V and it still was nothing compared to my 72.

--
Spike

rebuild the 289. carefully select the cam, run a 4-v intake with a small (low cfm carb with vacuum secondary. upgrade the ignition (petronix, unilite ect) use high quality cap, wires and plugs. Find a 35 amp alternator, no after market electronics, quality using a manual trans convert to over driven T-5, lighten the flywheel and pressure plate, with an auto for an over drive type AOD. lighten the drive shaft (carbon fiber, aluminum) find a set of 2:11 or 2:34 gears, change the tires to the narrowest highest pressure p-metric radials you can find and are comfortable with. remove the carpet and trunk mat and the insulation under them, reinstall the mat and carpet. don't carry anything extra in the trunk. Drive as if there is and egg between your gas pedal and the floor,
walt peifer wrote:

    or better yet, sell the 65 and buy a prius.

He should just find a 4 cylinder probe! After all, that car was nearly the 1989 mustang.
Brent P wrote:

...or an SVO turbo-4. Those were pretty good on fuel economy if you didn't have a lead foot.
Ritz wrote:

<rant>
    Please dont cut up a SVO for this project. hack a t-bird, a merkur or other turbo ford car. SVO's are becomming fairly rare these days, and we dont need people hacking them to bits.
</rant>
snipped-for-privacy@here.com wrote:

A decent '65 is pretty rare too. It seems idiotic which is why I suspect the whole thing was just a troll/joke.
Cheers,
Ritz wrote:

    Agreed.

I have a 65 Mustang and if i wanted something fuel efficent, i would have a mod ped. Gas is expensive, get the biggest engine and enjoy the money your paying for gas.
walt peifer wrote:

my reference to the "honda accord" was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Anyway, yes I agree that a rebuild is probably the most efficient way to improve some gas mileage while still preserving the mustang's original power.
thanks for the thoughts :)
Ill take your motor off your hands!!

Interesting concept. I've thought of doing a Mazda 32v V6 front wheel drive swap myself. But I'm too busy putting a 351 Cleveland into a 67 Chevelle.
Good luck...