66 Mustang no speedo gear

Hi, I just purchased a 66' mustang coupe with a 1991 5.0 f/i engine and t5 transmission. However when I bought the car the guy said that it would need a new speedo gear, But he didn't know the model number or even have an idea of the number of teeth it would even need. The original gear was removed completly and is long gone. Has any one else done this conversion and would mabey know about the gear? Or the conversion needed to make my speedo work. I already got pulled over doing 55 in a 35, and I just playing around I can't imangine how fast I'm speeding on the freeway.

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Xanatos

yes, a speedo gear from a 1991 T5 tranny will do. I swapped a T5 from a 86 mustang in my 79 mustang. Had the same problem, but the other way around. Was doing 85 on the tach, but 60 on the road. It could be that your speedo gears are correct, and that the poblem is now in your tach ...

Reply to
Philippe Michiels