66 Mustang steering

Hello All. So there I am last Saturday, working on my 66 Mustang suspension/steering. I ordered a kit to replace everything up front, and I got it all in. I started the steering Friday and got every thing off (drag link, idler arm, tie rods) I placed the new parts next to the old parts, noticed they didn't look alike at all. Oh no! I figured the company had sent me power steering parts when I asked for manual. Got some catalogs out, looked at pictures of steering parts. What do you know? My Mustang, a confirmed V-8, came down the line and they put 6 cylinder steering on my car. My old idler arm, pittman arm, drag link, and tie rods are all 6 cyl pieces. I know that in 65 they were running short on V-8 engines, apparently that isn't all they ran short of. The car always drove fine, though I'm sure I'll notice a difference when I get it back on the road.

Gary in NC

Reply to
gcroix

Sounds like my '65 C-code that I got in '82...it too had 6-cylinder steering parts on it.

I think it more likely that our cars were victims of misguided parts store clerks, junkyard scavenged replacements, or inept mechanics.

My 6 cylinder parts rubbed a groove in the starter so much that someone had shimmed the engine up 1/2 inch (and it still rubbed). Also, the steering wheel didn't self-center....all of which were fixed once I got the correct V-8 parts back in it.

Reply to
Dinsdale

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans, 16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )

Reply to
D. Willson

Tell us about your spindles. The six cyl. tie rod links are small and shouldn't fit tight in the V-8 (5 lug) spindles. Are you sure you have a V-8 car. What is the engine code in the VIN number (fifth digit)? The V-8 center link, the bar in the center, should be connected to the steering link on one end and the idler on the other with the inner tie rods connected to it in the center. The 6 should have two holes each in the steering link and idler arm and the tie rods connected there. Check the code (could've been switched). I bought a car I knew was a V-8 conversion in process (it had a T Engine code). It had the 5 lug rearend and granada disks in the front however it still had the 6 cyl. steering linkage theat fits sloppily in the V-8,Granada front spindles. Let us know what you find out.

Mark

Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
Mark

Hey Mark,

Let me address your questions one by one:

You're right, the 6 cyl tie rods look puny. But the V-8 ones I got fit right in. That is one thing that surprised when I found out I had 6 cyl stuff. I know V8 stuff is normally beefier. But the TR went right in with no problem.

If I have a 6 cyl car, someone went to a lot of work to swap. This is my third 65-66 Mustang, I know the differences. (NOT trying to sound smart) All wheels are 5 lug, VINS match, engine block date and build date on door are close. VIN letter is "C".

steering link on one end and the idler on the other with the inner tie rods connected to it in the center. The 6 should have two holes each in the steering link and idler arm and the tie rods connected there.

Right. I figured all that out when I laid the new and old idler arm side by side. That's when I knew something was up.

conversion in process (it had a T Engine code). It had the 5 lug rearend and granada disks in the front

the V-8,Granada front spindles. Let us know what you find out.

These tie rods weren't sloppy at all. Kind of tough to get out, to tell the truth. I've heard stories of various things happening when the Mustangs came down the line way back when, and that's what I think happened, since everything else points to this car being a V-8 from the beginning.

Gary in NC

Reply to
gcroix

Gary, I dunno. I suppose you'll need a new V-8 idler arm, center link, and steering arm to make it all right again. Don't try to mix and match parts. You didn't say you had power steering. A manual center link is inexpesive compared to a power steering car but if you needed to buy a power link you could sell the 6 cly power link to recoupe some of the cost. They're rare and hard to come by. Good luck. Mark

Reply to
Mark