69 Mustang door question

The mirror mounts on one of my 69FB's need re-working, the 'riv-nuts' are stripped out, previous owner used WOOD screws to mount them at some point!! I want to install new 'riv-nuts with a backing plate for added strength, so I'd like to know what gauge the sheet metal is, that was used from factory. The doors are original. Then I want to make up some samples using that gauge sheet metal with same thickness for backing plate to see if the 'riv-nuts' I have available will "crush" properly with two layers of sheet metal. Also, was passenger side remote mirror a valid option for 69? I have a pair of remote mirrors from a Cougar, I think, that I would like to transfer the remote mechanism to the passenger side mirror. If this is valid, where was the 'remote knob' placed on the lower dash? Thanks, in advance John in NC.

Reply to
JR

"JR" wrote

First off. The PO was a dumbass! second of all. Rivnuts are an extreme PITA! I wouldn't use them again sunce they are damn near impossible to crush. I'd use these...

are from Mustangs Plus, but you can pick them up at your local Napa. That's where I got mine. And they are WAY easy to use. Seriously, TOSS the rivnuts!!!!

No, passenger remote mirror was not an option. I don't know if you can modify a stock passenger sport mirror to even work as a remote mirror.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Just replace the Riv-Nuts, make sure you borrow/buy the proper install tool, it sure helps. They lasted 30+ years, longer if they didn't get stripped, which was a "user" error not a part error. Use the rubber inserts if you want floppy mirrors, as the rubber rots.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn McClelland

Thanks , guys for your input. I'll stick with the riv-nuts, as I have experience using them when I worked in air craft maintenace, and I do have the correct tools/riv-nuts. Now, back to the orginal question, does anyone know the gauge of the doorskin sheet metal? Thanks, Jr

JR wrote:

Reply to
JR

Why not measure it? take a piece of sheet metal and drill a hole in it. Use one mirror hole to hold it on the inside (provided the riv-nuts are already out on and the inside of the door apart) of the door. Now measure the depth from the outside surface to the piece of sheet metal through the other mirror mounting hole with calipers and that's the thickness. Paint might cause a little error if there is any under the original riv-nuts.

Reply to
Brent P