85 Mustang GT batteries keep blowing??

85 Mustang GT has been through more batteries than I can count. Can?t figure out what the problem is. After driving for several miles, you can smell the battery acid, and have had at least 2 ?explode? (luckily no one was hurt except a little acid in my face once). Checked grounding, etc - still same problems. I?m going through a battery every month *at least* and this is getting OLD! Can ANYONE help with this??? 8O
Reply to
mvasil

An alternator is capable of producing more voltage than your battery is capable of handing. The regulator works by limiting the output. The last time my brushes went the problem manifested itself by maxing out the voltmeter. Another place to look is at the alternator sense line, if it is not hooked up correctly it could be signaling for max output.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

ironrod

Too much voltage. Check your charging system. Around here, Autozone and Pep Boys will do it for free.

Reply to
.boB

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: >
Where is the alternator sense line?

Thanks!

Reply to
mvasil

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:

Reply to
ironrod
85 still used a voltage regulator mounted on the firewall behing the battery and starter solenoid. Remove your alternator and voltage regulator and take em to one the shops suggested by Bob below and have them tested.
Reply to
cprice

Since you don't have an internally regulated alternator, ignore my previous post. Like the man said, remove the regulator and have it tested. You can also perform a down and dirty test yourself by measuring the voltage from the positive terminal of the battery to ground. Have someone rev the engine for you while you look at the voltmeter, output should remain constant at around 14 volts. If the voltage changes radically or is just plain too high then your regulator is suspect. If the regulator checks good then we are back to the possibly of a wiring problem.

Reply to
ironrod