86 GT 5.0 Idle Question

I have a 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 with the five speed manual trans. After warm up and when idling, the engine idle speed "surges" (ie. it varies up and down, slightly, but noticeably).

Anyone had any experience with this, what is the matter and what I might do to correct it?

Thanks a bunch.

Larry

Reply to
LR

I think a surging idle has been addressed in this group 100 times. Do a search on it. 86 is EFI? Sounds like the air intake and any sensors in it needs a good cleaning.

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

That sounds like the idle air bypass solenoid and throttle body need to be cleaned out.

The IABP solenoid mounts to the side of the throttle body. You can unbolt it (disconnect wiring harness) and clean it out with a cleaner. At the same time clean out the throttle body and the holes that go into where the IABP solenoid mounts.

Oh yeah, don't tear the gasket...

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

My car did the same thing; cleaning the IAC fixed it.

Good luck, John

Reply to
jmvannoy

Well, well. Look what the Skylark drug in... :-P

Reply to
WindsorFox