93 LX subwoofer?

Hi all, Last summer I upgraded the sound system in my 93 LX convertable. It sounds pretty good but could really use additional bass response. Obviously installing a subwoofer would help, but I can not decide on a good location for the speakers. I am not looking for a big "thump" as the music I listen to is mostly 70's rock and such. There is a panel between the trunk and the area that the top folds into which might work, but I am concerned that when the top is down that the speakers would be defeated.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
James

James opined in news:41c82e41 snipped-for-privacy@nntp2.nac.net:

Off top of my head... if you aint looking to rattle the glass on the shop windows, look at miniature subs.. like those on PC sound systems.... remove Glove box.

Otherwise just take out the back seat and build a custom speaker enclosure.

You COULD get fancy and build/upholster it to look like seat back... better sound in midrange, too. And still haul a passenger in a pinch

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I've got an Infinity Basslink in the trunk of my '97 convertible. I listen to same stuff and it really fills in the bottom end.

It's self-powered (200 watts) and self contained...no muss, no fuss...well, minimum fuss mounting the brackets in a small trunk. It's very tweakable with adjustable low-pass filter and bass boost.

The bass does drop off a bit when the top is down, but not much.

Here's a link to a Crutchfield comparison of the Infinity and a smaller Kenwood sub:

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Reply to
Rico

I had a '92 LX convertible with one truck wedge in the trunk (I think 10" but it might have been 12" - it was a while ago) and a cheap Optimus amp (tell you how long ago?) that was about 170W bridged. It took up what little trunk room was available, but still easy enough to get out to get to the spare tire if necessary. The amplifiers can live safely under the area where the top goes down - you may need to remove that piece of trim though if it is still intact in your car (same story for the truck wedge).

Otherwise, there really aren't too many good places to hide a subwoofer in those cars..

JS

Reply to
JS